Premed 101 Forums

Kirsteen, any good job opportunities?

Guest Agent999

Guest Agent999

Hi Kirsteen,

I am still on the waiting list for medschool, but I am not feeling very good about it, and should start thinking about what to do next year when I reapply. I was planning to find a health-related job, do you have any recommendations? It will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was planning to find a health-related job, do you have any recommendations?
"Health-related" is a pretty big field. :) Do you have any ideas as to what realm in which you'd like to work, or at least, the type of tasks that you'd like to do? Research? Public sector? Diagnostics? Pharmaceutical industry? Also, in which city would you like to work?

Let me know and I'll try to steer you to some resources.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Agent999

I would prefer research or pharmaceutical industry. But if need be, I dont mind the other options. I live and like to work in Toronto. Thanks a lot Kirsteen!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I would prefer research or pharmaceutical industry.
Not knowing what your precise skills are, it's difficult to say specifically which pharmaceutical companies might be receptive. However, one company which does actively recruit university students to fill contract positions of 5-8 months duration is Glaxo SmithKline out in Oakville. (They also have a large office in Mississauga, but all of the students I know who have secured jobs with them have been placed in Oakville.) You might want to give their HR department a shout. :)

As for research, which area, specifically, interests you?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Agent999

I have some research background in protein biochemistry and gene-subcloning, since I have been working on a protein-tyrosine kinase called Syk under IMS in UofT for 2 summers. Eventhough I should probably find a job pertaining to research, but part of me also wanted to work on something new, something with more patient contact or human interactions possibly. I will like a break between summers when I am not doing researches ;) That's why I don't know specifically what to do. I wanted to work on something different but I dont know what's out there to do since I really have no clue how to find these health-related jobs. I would really appreciate it if you could just give me a list of jobs, it can be on diagnostics, pharmaceutical industry or public sector as you mentioned. I want to give it a try and see what other jobs can my research background and hospital volunteer hours get me. Sorry to sound so demanding =( I appreciate the GlaxoKlineSmith offer, I will definitely look into that. Thanks a lot Kirsteen!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Sorry about that, I just assumed that you might be following up on the GSK opportunity. :)

Regarding other opportunities, there are a couple of organizations which you might try to contact for positions. In the diagnostics realm there is MDS Labs. They are a huge organization and will often hire students to do all sorts of diagnostics-related work, i.e., customer service (interacting with patients and doctors), sample sorting, sample processing (e.g., chemistry, microbiology, haematology, etc.). They also tend to pay quite well. As for more public sector-type jobs, one organization for which I worked (albeit as a volunteer) was Planned Parenthood. Their Toronto branch was often looking for volunteer coordinators (paid positions), although to fill this role, you had to be female.

I hope these help and good luck with your job hunt. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived