Premed 101 Forums

Moving pets cross-country

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience moving pets by air, cross-country? I have two lads: two Siamese cats, who I'll have to be moving across the country by plane in the next short while. Never having done this before, I've begun to look for info to make the process as stress-free as possible for the wee buggers. The good thing is that they're brothers, so they've grown up together and (sometimes) enjoy each other's company, so they won't be alone in the airplane hold. The bad thing is that they've never traveled like this. Has anyone had any experience with this and can share some tips? I've had a quick look on the Air Canada website and they offer some options, but it doesn't look like stowing them in the cabin is going to be one of them. :rolleyes I'd like to hear your advice. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest seonagh

Hello Kirsteen,

Vets are usually helpful about this kind of thing. You might want to consider talking to yours especially if you have one that is familiar with your cats. Depending on the temperment and health of the animals sedation is an option that can help to make thing run a little more smoothly for the animals. Dehydration can also be an issue on long flights and I have heard it suggested that you freeze water in a cat food tin that can be wired to the door of the cage just before boarding to gradually melt through the trip. I've not tried this and getting it to the airport in a still solid state could be tricky depending on how you are getting there.

Good luck!

Seonagh

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there seonagh,

Thanks for the idea re: water. That's a good one. As for the vet, I thought it would be smart to chat with him too. As such the boys have an appointment at one of their most favourite places (er, not) this Friday. Hopefully he can share some good advice. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest DonaldKaufman

Kirsteen,

I have to deal with this issue in about a month too, although my cat is going from Arizona to Halifax, so I have to deal with the customs-type people too.

I have a second cousin who recently took a cat from Vancouver to Halifax, and she put the cat in a cat-carrier that was sort of like a gym bag with mesh vents on the sides. The cat travelled in the airplane cabin. She took it into the bathroom a couple of times and let it out of the carrier in there (I guess she literally 'let the cat out of the bag'..grooannn). She just stowed it under her seat during landing and takeoff. She told me that cats won't urinate or defecate under those circumstances - if they're stressed out, they'll just hold it (I guess they're sort of the opposite of humans).

I'm not sure this will be a viable option with my pet. She's a meower both to and fro the vet, and I'm really scared she might start meowing in the plane and never stop, causing everyone on the plane to hate me endlessly. I'm pretty sure my cousin flew Air Canada though, so if your pets are up for it (and if they don't mind turning off their cellphones prior to landing), then this is a possibility.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Donald,

I've seen some small animals traveling in Air Canada cabins, too. Interestingly, when I looked at the information on the Air Canada website, they note that to be able to travel in the cabin, the animal must be in a cage where it can stand up and turn around. The cat carrier that I saw in the cabin didn't seem to allow for this and rarely is there ever enough room under an airplane seat for a cat to get up and turn. :rolleyes Your cousin's idea of taking the cat to the loo is a good one. I'd definitely do that if I can get them into the cabin.

Like your cat, however, my boys are right noisemakers. They moan and yelp when they are in their travel cages, or even, if they're in any environment that is unfamiliar to them. Unless they're sedated (and I'd like to chat with the vet about that) I'd probably end up grounding the plane.

Anyway, I'll let you know what my vet (officially called "The Cat Doctor" as he sees only cats in his practice) recommends on Friday.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

Hey Kirsteen,

I have never travelled across the country with my own two cats. Moving across the city was traumatic enough for them, so I feel for your little guys, and you because I am sure it will be hard if you can't bring them into the cabin.

Anyways, when you come to Calgary I know an excellent vet who also only deals with cats and is not that far from where you will be living. I assume you will probably be looking for one at some point.

Another note, my cousin recently brought a cat via airplane from Japan to Vancouver. The cat didn't travel in the cabin and it was fine when they were reunited, and didn't seem overly upset by its "ordeal."

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there marbledust,

Thanks for your note. Thankfully, the flight from Toronto to Vancouver isn't that long. I can't imagine how they'd be in a cross-Pacific flight. I'd definitely like to know the name of that cat vet! Thanks for offering that up. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest DonaldKaufman

Kirsteen,

Yes, please keep my up-to-date with any advice your Cat Doctor gives you! That would be great.

Not only does my cat have a cross-continent flight to look forward to, she's also travelled by car from New England to Arizona. I swear her lifespan is going to be 4 years shorter after all of this stress......

-DK

Guest Gill0927

Hi all,

Kirsteen, I'd also be interested to hear what your vet recommends. I'm wondering whether I should go see mine too -- I'm not moving cross-country, or even taking a plane, but I have a seven-hour drive with my little guy. And he gets really agitated in his carrier...I'm a little worried the seven hours may traumatise him for life. I don't really want to sedate him, because I've never done it before and I'm not a big fan of 'sedate your cat so he won't bug you'...but if it may save him a bit of anguish, maybe it's worth it?

Gill :b

Guest DonaldKaufman

Gill0927,

When I took my pet on her cross-continental journey, I rigged up a plastic mesh thing to block off the 'hatchback' part of the car (a Subaru Impreza wagon), and put a litter box, food, and water back there. You can find bowls that don't spill (as much) or tip over.

This system held up for the first 2 hours of the 60 hour trip, at which point the cat broke through the plastic barricade. After that, she just slept on some furniture in the back seat, practically at eye level with me, and seemed very content. We had to restrain her from coming into the front seats only a handful of times. She cried for the first hour of the trip, but I think cats will tire themselves out after that.

I would recommend this method if you are traveling with someone else*. If not, there's too much of a chance of the cat getting under your feet around the pedals. If you're traveling alone, well, your cat may not like her carrier, but she will probably get tired of meowing at some point (and if not, just turn up the radio ;) )

* results may vary

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The lads just visted the vet for some travel advice, and here's what he had to say:

1) Remove food from the cats' environment 2 hours prior to leaving for the airport. Cats generally need ~4 hours to digest their food, so if it's removed 2 hours prior then they have less chance of being ill when they encounter the most stressful part of an air trip: being stowed in the plane belly.

2) Place a diaper on the bottom of the cat cage to soak up any oopsies. Also stock the carry case with a soft, warm blanket.

3) Separate the cats into two carry cases. For one, most airlines require this; two, the stress of the trip will eclipse the fact that they're now not together during the trip.

4) Carry two tupperware containers for the end of the trip; one with food, and one that can be filled with water--both of which may be offered to the cats upon arrival.

5) Sedation is not recommended, most especially for cats traveling in the hold. The environment of the hold can change rapidly, thus it is better for the cat to be able to function optimally to best adjust.

6) Avoid giving immunizations within 4 weeks of the trip. Most cat immunizations can challenge/suppress the feline immune system for a number of weeks, post-inoculation. Immune system suppression in conjunction with travel stress and potential exposure to other animals can result in a sick kitty.

I think that's about all he mentioned. Happy travels with your pets. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

Hey Kirsteen,

I just realized I didn't give you the name of the vet I recommended earlier. It is Dr. Stepan Porostocky. His office, Killarney Cat Hospital, is about a 5 minute drive from where you are moving to. The website is www.catdoctor.ca/. He's a great cat doc :)

I wish you and your little guys a good trip outwest, if you haven't already moved out here. I look forward to meeting you in August! :)

marble

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there marbledust,

Thanks for that--I'll definitely look him up! :D They'll be making the trip on August 28th and I'm sure, with all the tips that have accumulated, they'll be fine.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mying

Kirsteen,

Thanks for sharing this info. We'll hopefully not be having to carry our critters by air next year, but it's good tips to know about all the same!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Well, phase one of the pet move is done: my two lads are now checked into their flight. (...and I thought preparing for meds interviews was stressful. ;) )

A couple of extra pieces of advice: 1) I remembered that an old pal of mine used to breed cats and used to transport them on planes. I contacted him for his insights re: transporting the boys. One excellent piece of advice that he provided was to use a couple of cable ties to secure the doors of the cages, just in case the latches came loose or someone tried to take the cats out for a wee petting session. I did just that and gained some peace of mind that the doors wouldn't accidentally open during the flight. 2) A related piece of advice, newly-learned: don't secure the cable ties until after the cages have been received by Special Services at the airport. Special Services require that you remove the pets from the cages so that they can x-ray the cages. Ack! So I had to snip off the ties to bring each of the boys out while the cages were x-rayed, but did not think to bring any extra ties with me. Hopefully no-one will bring them out for a wee pat.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived