Premed 101 Forums

Bio + finishing a major

Guest confused555

Guest confused555

Hi all,

I"m doing a major in psych and health studies. I've taken 1st year bio and I am considering taking animal physiology next year. HOwever, it looks like I may not have room for it in my schedule. Although I know the MCAT material is approx first year bio , would all of you who have taken the MCAT say it would be helpful to take animal phys?

Secondly, what happens if one gets in after 3 years of undergrad - but hasn't finished either one of their majors? ( Is there a "minimum" you need to apply? )

ie. Could i just pursue a 3 yrs bachelor ( minimum of 2 minors or 1 major) and be at the same level?

Finally, has anybody done 3 minors? How did you find it?

Thanks,

confused:)

Guest 1Smiley

Hi,

I don't know about animal phys, but I know that my human phys courses really helped me with the MCAT. As for finishing a three year degree, you should check the web sites of various med schools to see if they will take students with that degree. I know the University of Manitoba accepts students who graduate after three years of undergrad.

Good luck:)

Guest RageoftheDragon

You won't find animal physiology overly helpful, aside of the human animal. UofS only requires 2 years undergrad. Dalhousie and I believe McGill require a 4 year degree. Most other schools only require 3 years of undergrad, and do not specify that a degree is required. However, seeing as you likely won't have time to finish a degree once you are in medicine, a wise path would be to have a 3 year degree completed by the end of your third year, with the option of a 4 year (honors) left open in the event that you do not get in after 3 years and need to take another year.

RotD

Guest CTU24

Hey confused,

as for first year Bio and the MCAT that is true in most cases...however it varies at different universities. For example, 1st year bio at U of T is solely evolution, which is only a small part of the MCAT. 2nd year bio is molecular and covers more of the MCAT. And those courses don't even include physiology, genetics, and biochem and organic chem all of which are tested on the bio part of the MCAT.

as for animal physiology, this probably will be very helpful as long as it covers general physiology concepts that the MCAT will cover. Remember, the MCAT covers broad understanding more than details, meaning you won't need to know the physiology of the tortoise versus the hare.

Finally, if you get in after 3 years the outcome really dependns on the med school, where you did your undergrad, and the flexibility of your degree. I suggest you research the various outcomes. In my case, I did my undergrad at U of T (can you tell?) which no longer confers 3 year degrees. I was lucky enough to get into U of T's med school after 3rd year, and accepted, so I will not be doing my bachelors. There also is an option to defer a year to finish you 4th year. Once again, these policies differ by school so research on your part is needed.

Hope that helped de-confuse the confused,

CTU24

Guest Gill0927

Hi confused,

I just wanted to reiterate that it really depends what animal phys course you're talking about when you ask whether it will help on the MCAT. I just took an animal phys course last year and I can say with absolute certainty that nothing I learned would have helped me on the MCAT I wrote the spring before the course. The course was largely invertebrate phys, and of the vertebrate stuff only 1 lecture was devoted to mammals. So if you're taking it solely for that reason, check out the class and syllabus and stuff before you commit!

And again, to reiterate what others said, check with the schools you're interested in as to whether they'll take you after 3 years. At Western, for instance, I know that for this app cycle and the next (entry fall 2006), they're still open to applicants from 3 year degrees, but as off the following app cycle (entry fall 2007) you'll have to hold a 4 year honours degree to register at Western.

Good luck!

Gill :)

Archived