Premed 101 Forums

Soothe my creative heart

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

I'm almost completely sure that medicine is what I want to do with my life, but I keep having a nagging criticism from the coulda-shoulda part of my mind that says I should be going into a more creative field, like working on film production or advertising.

Most of the time, I can calm this nagging bug by reminding it that as a physician or medical student I can still write and paint and act in community theatre on the side, especially if I don't pursue an incredibly time-consuming specialty. I'm the type of person who envisions publishing a novel at some point in my life, so it's important to me to keep this spirit alive.

I seem to be under the impression that medical students are a generally creative bunch, maybe more so than other professional programs. If you are a medical student, how have you managed to keep up with your creative pursuits on the side? How do you think your creativity comes/will come in handy in a clinical setting? Is it possible to maintain a healthy artistic life while studying/practicing medicine?

Guest Lactic Folly

I know of physicians that have managed to integrate artistic work with medicine.. I walk through hospitals and see photographs (HOPE project - what symbolizes hope to you?), paintings, posters for concerts, all touching on and enriching the patient experience in some way.

Speaking of advertising, I just saw an ad on TV that was actually a public health message about West Nile, and I'm sure there are quite a few physician/authors (Mickey Zucker Reichert, William Carlos Williams).

Aside from the fine arts, I'm sure creativity is a valuable skill in medicine.. approaching a problem from a different angle, coming up with a better way of doing something..

Guest therealcrackers

At Western, there is a meds variety night called Tachycardia in April each year. (The equivalent is Daffydil at U of T, and most schools have some form of it.)

There is a band, so the musicians can get involved in that. There are skits from each of the four classes (plus some silliness with the consultants and the residents thrown in), with musical and dance numbers --- most of the time it's satirical, occasionally side-splittingly funny medical humor that can be generalized to a wider audience.

There's room for art (set design and decoration), choreography and dance, acting, writing, directing, technical support, even a little filmmaking (most classes have at least one video in their presentation).

Except for the fourth years' sketch, this year's production was really strong. The clerks rewrote the lyrics to "The Longest Time" as a song and dance for a sleepless clerk post-call with four male back-up dancers, did a takeoff on the IRon Chef, and Bob and Sukh McKenzie explored Windsor. Ask aneliz or hmsdread about Efyuan Yomama from the second year skit...

There's also an arts and humanities night: we have a concert-level violinist and a very skilled cellist in our class, a lot of good singers and rock/folk musicians, a couple of actors, etc... and the breadth of talent across the med school (and every other med school for that matter) is exceptional.

To boot, a lot of the community groups (concert bands, dramatic societies, etc.) would probably fit into a med school schedule--- at least until clerkship...

You can find your niche artistically. And if not, make one!

Guest Lorae

As with the above examples, I'm sure there's plenty of ways to express your creativity in medicine no matter what specialty you choose...

but there are some specialties that lend themselves to actually requiring creativity and/or artistic abilities. You might find you're drawn to pediatrics (children!) or plastic surgery (facial reconstruction). I am always *amazed* when I watch reconstructive surgery!

Even the CMAJ has a section devoted to physician creativity (poems, short writings, etc) and once a year they publish "mock" research studies that are just hilarious.

:D

Guest seonagh

My family physician sings and performs occassionally (around the holidays etc) with a local orchestra. He has just recently put out a CD and the proceeds are going to charity.

Just an example of someone out there keeping in touch with that side of themselves while practicing meds.

One thing is that while it is relatively possible to explore your artistic leanings while practicing meds, it would be difficult to practice meds as a hobby if you pursue an artistic career path :rolleyes hehe.

Seonagh

Guest mying

I remember a number of our clinical teachers (all of them physicians) from second year who had very artistic side projects. There's one who writes and plays folk music, another who plays saxophone, and another that does photography. There's a retired surgeon in the US who did oil paintings of the OR, and probably made a nice bit of cash selling prints to surgeons around the world. And there was Netter, of course.

A few years ago somebody organized some life drawing classes for medical students at UWO, which were fun, relaxing, and were great for getting to know other people who like that sort of thing.

Guest aneliz

Our show-stopping song was entitled:

efuanyomama

Words by meds 2006, music by Disney (hakuna matata)

(when ever anyone pisses you off, just say "efuanyomama"...)

Watch for the commemorative t-shirt coming soon.

Guest lothya

I am almost finished a master's in creative arts therapies, and lots of my colleagues work alongside physicians -- especially in psychiatry. Working with very young children, or non-verbal people can involve a lot of improvisation, and children express themselves most eloquently through play. It often helps to be able to "speak play" when communicating with young folks :D There are certainly psychiatrists who use arts-based approaches in their work, and who have taken extra training in art or drama therapy in order to do so.

That said, using arts in your work is a long cry from assuaging the need for your own creative expression!!

My parent's doctor does beautiful photography which he has framed in his office waiting room!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Just thought that I'd add my two cents. I have always been heavily involved with the creative/extra-curricular side of things and medical school has been no exception whatsoever! This past year (while I was in 2nd year), I was a part of three different choirs here in London, one of which was an fully-auditioned, faculty of music chamber choir which practiced daily from Mon-Thurs each and every week. Attendance was mandatory, but I was able to make arrangements with my profs, etc., such that I missed only one practice the entire year. I found my participation in the UWO Singers to be extremely rewarding b/c not only did the choir work at such a high level (much, much higher than I was accustomed to working at!), but it was every day after class, and it was such a great escape from the everyday grind of medicine (aka: 'the world according to powerpoint'). I looked forward to going every day and this year the ensemble put out a CD, featuring choral work by not only Singers, but the all-women's chamber choir Les Choristes as well!

I also did other choirs, talent shows, Tachycardia, Tachy band, Spokeoke, plus other stuff (ie: intramurals, etc.) but I'm not going to bore you with the details.

The point I am trying to make is that there is lots of opportunity in medical school to do whatever you want! Just b/c you are a medical student doesn't mean that you have to drop all of your outside activities- in fact, I would recommend the opposite! Having a life outside of the classroom is soo important and if there is something specific that you want to do, then do it!!! :D

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived