Premed 101 Forums

Taking courses at other Universities

Guest skiboot

Guest skiboot

A quick question here,

Would taking courses from various universities affect how an application is viewed? My dillemma is as follows: I'm trying to fit in all of the courses that I plan to take this coming fall/winter, but due to some scheduling conflicts/ courses full, etc, I'm looking at the option of taking the courses at another university instead. That way, I may be able to prevent having to take spring/summer session next year (I'm currently in a Bsc after degree at UofC, and thinking of trying to make the courses fit at the UofA - I did my first degree at UofA, and have no issue moving back to Edm).

I'm not even sure if this is possible at this late stage. I'd probably have to apply as a visiting or special student or get special permission to take the courses there, since I've probably missed the regular deadlines to transfer.

If I was able to take the courses as special student, would this affect how my application for med was viewed (moving schools, special student status, etc)?

Just wondering,

Skiboot

Guest aneliz

As far as I am aware, no. The only thing that schools are looking for is:

1. You are a full-time student at a recognised school

2. You are taking a full course load of appropriate level courses

3. You are enrolled in some type of cohesive program

4. You have a good GPA

5. You have passed the pre-reqs

Many people take courses at multiple schools... you can check with the med schools that you are interested in to be sure, but I don't think it will be a major problem. You will have to submit transcripts from both/all schools when you apply though... even if the original school grants transfer credits for the 'visiting' courses at the other.

Guest skiboot

Thanks,

I guess the only problem would be if I am only able to transfer as a 'special student' as opposed to a visiting student, since as a visiting student, I would still be considered a full time Bsc student, but as a special student (at least at the UofA) is where you apply to the faculty which you graduated from (in my case, it was Arts, not Science), so then I'm guessing that I wouldn't actually be considered in a full time program, even if I was taking a full course load.

5. You have passed the pre-reqs
:P

I wish that were the case... Just 'passing' the prereqs would mean that I wouldn't actually have to spend so much time takining higher level prereqs, which is what I am doing now. :rollin

Guest aneliz

why are taking 'higher leve pre-reqs'? What schools are you applying to that require that?

In general, most schools don't look at the 'level' of your pre-req or care what grade you got... it is a simple 'check' to see that you have completed an acceptable course.

It doesn't usually get factored into the actual decision... and doing more/better doesn't give you any bonus points...

Check with the schools that you are most interested in to be sure....

Guest skiboot

Some shools have a component of prereqs built into their system of whittling down the applicant pool. I think UofA and UofS to name a few (UofS refers to taking higher level courses as a way of increasing your chances). Also, since it does not make sense to take the same course over to get a better grade (unless you didn't pass the course, then the only way to redeem yourself, I think, would be to take the course over and then take a higher level course.

UofC looks to see that you have completed the 'recommended' prereqs (I don't know if the grade shows up in the initial assessment, but I think if you make it past the first hurdle, then they look at your overall transcript, in addition to ECs, MCAT, references, etc.

I haven't really considered schools outside of Western Canada at this point, since I'm borderline as far as GPA is concerned. If I'm unsuccessful in province / in the west, given the competition in Ontario, etc, I'll probably consider looking south of the border.

Archived