Premed 101 Forums

Average first year bursary amounts

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Is there any resource out there which informs students and medical school applicants of the average amount for first year bursaries? I just read in the UWO forum that about $2500 is the average for UWO. What about for other schools? Forty out of 100 students at the U. of Calgary receive a bursary of $7500, so about $3200 per first year student. What about other schools?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

I think I read in old discussions that the average bursary at Queen's is something like $7000 (however, if this is an average of awards received by those receiving awards, it might also be nice to know how many people actually get some money).

But this is a good discussion. It would be nice to hear about this, since it seems like many schools don't have significant bursary/awards programs for incoming students, or don't have much money available to out-of-province students. I glanced at the info on the Calgary site, and while it seems like there are some good figures there, I wonder how accessible those funds are to OOP students (I'm assuming this is not a problem since there are relatively few of them anyway).

UWO may be changing in the future with the new endowments. Does McMaster anticipate having any new scholarship or bursary money available as a result of giving away its name? What about other schools? I haven't heard a lot about Ottawa or Toronto giving out too much in terms of aid money, for example.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, it would be interesting to know what the average bursary is per school, and the average bursary per class capita. Another interesting statistic might be the percentage of tuition that the average bursary composes. (I wonder what body, aside from medical school applicants, might be interested in this information? :rolleyes )

Regarding Ottawa, when I interviewed there I was pleasantly surprised to meet some people who had received significant bursaries, i.e., a laptop bursary plus $10,000. At the UofT interviews, on the other hand, I asked a current medical student about bursaries and they claimed that few, if any, are distributed; rather, UofT prefers to channel money to student research endeavours.

I wonder how accessible those funds are to OOP students
Calgary has a fairly long list of awards that are available to students in all three years of the MD program: www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/2004/What/Awards/Med0.htm Some of these awards are restricted to students born in the province of Alberta, but many are not. The significant "Differential Tuition Bursary" is worth $7500 and offsets ~60% of first year tuition (~$12,500). Forty of these are available for the entering class, thus a maximum of 40% of the class can receive one. Additionally, out-of-province applicants are just as eligible to receive this bursary as are in-province applicants. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hey,

I am just starting at U of C and still haven't heard about the differential tuition bursaries, do you think there is no chance? I didn't know what my loans would be worth when I filled out the application and I am worried that hurt my chances. Oh well, hopefully there are still some bursaries for second year :\

Guest peachy

I don't know much about U of T's bursaries, but if you go to the UTAPS website, you'll see that anybody who qualifies for OSAP automatically gets a $2000 non-repayable grant, and also a grant for however much interest you would pay on whatever they think you should borrow from the bank.

An example with totally made up numbers: if their assessment finds that you need $20K to get through the year, and that OSAP should give you $10K, then they will give you $2K and tell you that they expect you to borrow $8K. They will calculate what they think the interest on 8K should be, say $300, and they'll give you $300 also. So in this case there would be an automatic "bursary" of $2300.

Does anyone have firsthand experience about how this works? I'm only summarazing what the UTAPS website says.

Guest myfunnyvalentine

Hi Bananacreampie,

I emailed Adele to hear about the results of the differential tuition bursary competition last week and she said the letters had already been sent out. Only those who received a bursary were notified. However, my understanding is that the medical bursaries for which you are automatically considered if you filled out the differential tuition application, have not been given out yet, since if you apply just for those bursaries the due date for the application is august something. Here's hoping for some good news on other bursaries for those of us who didn't get one yet. Congrats to those who did.

Guest aneliz

The bursaries at UWO are usually

~$2600 for 1st year

~$3600 for 2nd year

~$4500 for 3rd year

Don't know about 4th year.

They aren't huge but I would say that *most* people get one.

Of course now that we have the schulich money...(15 scholarships per year x $20 000 each) we have been told that the average bursary may increase. (People getting a schulich scholarship will be out of the running for other bursaries....)

Archived