Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering Experiences -Will they hurt my chances?

Guest CommerceStudent

Guest CommerceStudent

I'm interested in applying to McMaster for 2005 but I'm a little concerned about my volunteer experiences. When I was in high school, I volunteered for 2 hospitals (nominated for an award at one) and accumulated something close to 200 hours. However, since I came to university, I have been so busy with school and extracurriculars that I've only been able to afford 1 hour each week to volunteer at a soup kitchen. As a result, I don't know the supervisors and co-workers very well, but I still felt that I made a difference in the community over the last 2-3 years. This is the only significant volunteering I've done in university due to the workload - will this significantly hurt my application? Thanks very much

Guest s sadry

Volunteering isn't the only kind of EC activity you cna involve yourself with. You say you've been busy with school and EC's..so in your application why don't you focus on those other EC's and their value to you or the community (whether that be teh school community etc).

Also if you are stellar in all other areas...your MCAT, GPA, interview...I don't see why you wouldn't still have a chance.

My other suggestion is to START getting to know your co-workers at the place you work..have you ever mentioned your interest in medicine to them? One thing though I find..is that the places I volunteer, many of my co-workers/supervisors speak very little English or their language skills are limited. Therefore, I'm not sure they would be the best ppl to express my strenghths adn weaknesses.

If you are applying in 3rd year...then tehre is no harm in applying, seeing what happens, and then applying again in 4th year. just a matter of time and money.

Hey but I think a lot of us need to drop the whole 'I must volunteer in a hospital once a week for my entire undergrad' attitude. If you really want to than of course its a great idea...but don't feel obliged. I guess the value of a volunteer placement at a hospital depends on what you are doing...some jobs may feel pretty trivial, and others not so much...but either way exposure to the health care system and staff/patients is always a good idea before you decide your career path. But you already have that from highschool.

After all, nobody's application really stands out when we're all involved in identical activities...

Guest CommerceStudent

Thanks for the advice...I guess I am kinda stuck in the "I must volunteer at a hospital" loop 'cause EVERYONE seems to be doing that...all the premed students I know have been racking up hundreds of hours there

So would you say that extracurriculars are kinda equivalent to volunteering then?

Guest tweep0

Hey Com Student,

Medical schools are looking for people who will stand out in the crowd. If all premeds volunteer at hospitals, you won't be any more competitive if you volunteer at a hospital too. I think you should try to do things that are different and reflect your interests and passions. Doing things you like will give you greater accomplishments and the activity will be a lot easier to talk about in you application / interview.

Regarding ECs and volunteer activities, its always better to be well-rounded. That means having volunteer activities as well as EC activities. That said, never force yourself to volunteer because you feel you are lacking. I great EC activity which you dedicate all your time and you love to do is worth a lot. I know someone who spend almost his entire interview at Mac talking about his job as a DJ - at he's at Mac meds now. Just do what you like and you will do fine. Good luck.

Tweep

Guest studentz

An admissions officer at UofT told me at Discover UofT day when I was 16 NOT to volunteer at a hospital just for the sake of doing so. She basically said "We're affiliated with most of the hospitals here, we know most of the positions are in demand, clerical in nature and don't provide clinical exposure. Make sure that you are making a difference with your valuable time."

In the States they seem to put a lot of emphasis on clinical exposure and health-related volunteering, but if you do something else that nobody else would have otherwise done, and make a difference, I think it's a better use of your time than ringing up Mylar balloons at a hopital gift shop.

Guest aneliz

Agreed.... the person that volunteers to help tutor children that are in foster homes will have a much higher value experience than someone that shreds paper and photocopies for the NICU at a hospital. Admissions committees know this...they are looking for you to have made a meaningful contribution to someone else's life and to have learned something about the world and how it works...that is the point of volunteering.

Guest threeputt

I agree with tha above posts - find something you are passionate about, and focus on it. That way, you will get the most out of it, you're enthusiasm will show through, making you a more interesting person, and you'll get a better reference letter!

I volunteered at a hospital for two days before I said "the hell with this wandering around aimlessly, trying to find patients that actually wanted anything that I could provide". I found my experiences at the crisis center, SPCA, and Boys and Girls Club much more interactive and involved. I'm pretty sure I also got "points" in an interview once for my SPCA work doing volunteer work NOT just to get into med school. Also, you never know when an interviewer or adcom member has a similar interest to you...

I also know people who liked their experiences working for hospice - maybe worth looking into.

I know it's intimidating looking at your fellow premeds rack up all this hospital exp, but try not to fall into the rat race and winding up having a miserable time at it. Just make sure you have a good explanation for NOT having that exp (without bashing it, of course) if you choose to go that route.

edit: your volunteer work during hs is completely valid too, so make sure you put it on your apps!

Guest s sadry

hey threeput you say you cna put hs experiences on your application...

is this a good idea? to put dated information? i always assumed they wnated current activities from my undergrad career. ?

Guest McCarey007

During my interview, I got specifically asked "Why do you do the volunteer work that you do. Specifically, why did you do X and Y?"

I had a genuine interest in community work ever since grade 9. And I was able to answer those questions genuinely. I think it shows whether one is BSing or being genuine.

Do something you are passionate about. Don't just do it for the sake of med school.

IMHO, volunteering in a hospital should be a staple experience for all premeds. As a doctor, you will work in the hospital. How will you know that medicine is a right fit for you unless you actually immerse yourself into the environment you will be in for the rest of your professional life? How long you volunteer at the hospital depends on what you're doing and how enjoyable you find it. I racked up just over 300hrs in the last 2 years. (Obviously I find it very rewarding and my shift at the hospital has become a priority in my life)

You should also try to do other volunteer work (either health related or not) to balance out your experiences.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest CommerceStudent

Thanks for the insight McCarey. I have hospital experience but unfortunately, my major placement was done when I was 15 (160 hours at a hospital in Calgary) and I can't put in on my application. My other experience was a shorter stint at in Toronto (On a side note, can anyone think of a way to reference the Calgary volunteering somehow? It'd be a waste to omit the experience)

I'm hoping I can make up for this 'deficiency' with my soup kitchen experience over the last 3 years. I could only afford very few hours a week for it during the school year, but it was longer and more regular than the hospital work and I really enjoyed it.

Archived