Premed 101 Forums

What makes a good reference letter?

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

I have selected three references who know me extremely well: my program director from university (also a prof of mine - very small program!), my Director at work and the Managing Director of an organization I've volunteered with since 1996.

I am preparing a package to give my references prior to them writing my letters (eg: resume, copy of autobiographical sketch). I will also be writing a cover letter for them, and would like to include some suggestions of things that are considered to be positive in reference letters. For example, should I ask them to include specific examples of the traits they are describing? Or should I ask them to include dates? Or, are there other things that are better, which help make a reference letter stand out?

I have no fear that these three people will do what they can to give me a positive reference - they are all very supportive of my dreams of attending medical school. However, at least one of my references has asked what types of things I would like included in the letter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Elaine

Guest thecod

having an academic reference would look nice - like a professor. unless this "program director" from university was a professor of yours. :rolleyes

Guest Lactic Folly

Looking at a school's reference form, e.g. OMSAS's checkboxes, will give you an idea of which positive qualities they consider important and want to hear about in a reference letter. Specific evidence to back up these positive qualities is always valuable.

I agree, specifics are very important. Without reference to an occasion, a reference can come off as somewhat generic, especially if it is highly positive. Illuminating a certain occasion is even better.

Guest Lactic Folly

Yeah, there's teeny-tiny print on the confid. assess. form that asks the referee to attach a letter - very easy to miss.

Guest CTU24

Hi Elaine,

First of all, i think you are doing a great job making sure that you are giving your references lots of time and the mateirals they need to do a good job for you.

as for what to write, the OMSAS form is a good starting point. Make sure you have at least one references that can support each of those abilities and can expand upon them in the explanation section of the form.

as for dates...i don't think that's important. Remember the cliche quality over quantity. What looks better...a list of dates or a personal letter from someone who knows the kind of person you are?

Hope that helps clear things up

CTU24

Guest aneliz

I think the references you have chosen nicely reflect the different aspects of your life...school, work, community. Good work. I disagree with the suggestion that you get a professor...your program director should be fine. It is always better to get a letter from the less prestigious person that knows you well than a generic letter from a well-known person.

I would definitely ask them to include specific examples of your qualities/achievements in the letter.... examples are what make a good letter great.

Guest Lorae

Another important factor is to give them as much time as possible. I know that seems self explanatory... but I almost got caught as one of my references was *very* busy.

I agree with the above advice. Specific examples are important! I sat down with each of my referees and discussed what I believe to be my strengths and weaknesses, I also gave them a copy of my CV, and I went through all the forms with them... the pre-written forms that the medical schools put out give a very clear "checklist" of what they are looking for. Referees need to expand on the categories with the specific examples.

It sounds like you've chosen people who have known you very well and for a very long time. I think that counts a lot!

good luck

Archived