Premed 101 Forums

Is doing a 2nd degree a good idea?

Guest leeoswald

Guest leeoswald

Hello all,

Just a quick run-down of my academic life.. I'm at UofT, taking a 5th year to finish off my Hons B.Sc in Neuroscience. The past four years have been less than stellar. Workloads have always been 4 credits or less. 2nd year I ran away (literally) with a rock band and my academics suffered. 4th year (the one I just finished), I got heavily involved with my dad's business. 1st was ok, and 3rd was my strongest. My GPA now stands at around 2.8, 2.9.. possibly a 3.1 after this year, with some very hard work. Haven't taken the MCAT yet. Basically, I had a revelation a few days ago. After having volunteered in hospitals and having studied this stuff for so long, I finally realised that I really do want to go into medicine. Wierd that it's only come to me now instead of 4 years ago (DAMN YOU BRAIN!).

I know I don't stand a rat's chance in hell of getting into a canadian med school with my stats. I also loathe the idea of doing a masters research program, because I simply don't find research interesting. So I've been considering doing a 2nd degree after this year.. finally getting serious and boosting up my GPA. I figure it would take another 2 years (?).. I just turned 22 so when I finish I'd be 25, which is alright. Some questions I have for y'all...

- Do med schools look at the 1st or the 2nd degree? More specifically, which GPA is considered, or is it averaged?

- Since I would have a B.Sc., the 2nd one would be a B.A. Do med school admissions favor one over the other, if you have both?

- If I plan on doing a 2nd degree at UofT, would I be building on my old GPA, or starting over?

That's about it.. the only fear I have is that it would essentially be a gamble doing a 2nd degree. There is no career backup plan, unlike doing a research masters. Another possibility I've been thinking of is doing a non-research post bac.. but my low undergrad GPA would remain.

So yeah.. if anyone has any opinions/suggestions, I'm all ears.

p.s. I think this place is great. When my friend recommended it, I was expecting a forum full of competitive pre-meds/meds throwing put downs at each other.. glad I was wrong!

Guest Elaine I

Hi Leeoswald,

First of all, your chances at a medical career are still good - provided you are committed, and make appropriate choices over the next few years. It took me a while to believe after a less than stellar (far, far worse than your's) start at university nine years ago. However, I've received lots of encouragement from people here, as well as various admissions reps from different med schools.

Different med schools look at different things when considering your GPA. I know that with my past performance, I have no chance at schools like McMaster that consider all courses when calculating your GPA. Therefore, I'm focussing on schools that only count your best/two last years (Calgary, UWO, Queen's, Dal). I'm also applying to U of T, NOMS and MUN, requesting special consideration given my absolute turn around in my GPA since returning to university two years ago (3.85 average, full time course load while working full time as a paramedic).

Your past record may hurt you at some schools, but if you are committed to getting into med school, you still have options. I suggest you focus on the schools listed above (and others, depending upon your province of residence). You will probably need to do two more years of undergrad work. (I decided on undergrad instead of grad work, because schools like Queen's and Western are more objective as far as marks go, and focus more on undergrad - at least UWO that is.) Since you already have your degree, it may be wise to start a second degree (which can usually be completed in 2-3 years). UWO, at least, will only look at courses from your new degree. I was told the same from Dr. Konkin of NOMS. It is probably wise to persue a 4 year honours degree. Choose a subject that you will enjoy, as you'll be much more focussed on succeeding. Personally, I did a Bachelor of Health Administration in two years, which gave me the opportunity to study health law, ethics and physiology among other courses. (BTW, I definately have the option of working in health management with my degree, but I'm not pursuing that option at the moment.)

Keep smiling and working toward your goal! If you are dedicated, you will make it!

Elaine

Guest aneliz

Couple of things for you:

1. Every school calculates GPA differently...as Elaine pointed out, you would probably have the best chance at the schools that only look at individual years (like UWO) rather than cumulative GPA calculating schools (like Mac)

2. None of the schools give preference to a certain type of degree program (BA vs BComm vs BMus vs BSc Eng vs BSc vs BSc N, etc)...they are all considered undergrad degrees and are 100% equal to each other.

3. Some schools do not look at grad degrees (UWO) or doing grad work half-a$$ed may actually hurt you at others (UofT or Ottawa where they look at 'research productivity' in the grad pool of applicants). Also, at UWO, you cannot start med until you have FINISHED your grad degree. So, don't start a grad degree if you don't want to do it....because it may actually hinder your med chances rather than help them if you don't want to be there/don't put 100% effort into it.

4. UWO will only look at your second degree if you start a second one... be warned that the rules are changing at UWO come Sept 2006....you will need a completed 4-year honours degree to apply to UWO...and given that they will only look at your second degree...guess what? That's right....your second degree should be a 4 year honours and you are going to have to finish it.

Good luck!

Archived