Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship

Guest crazygirl2009

Guest crazygirl2009

I have been reading a lot of stuff under the general forums for lack of sleep during clerkship/residency etc. It's starting to freak me out! I don't do very well with lack of sleep or lack of food!

I was wondering if there would be anyone from Ottawa U who would be willing to comment on their clerkship experiences. As a third year, are you first call?

Any information, words of inspiration etc. would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

I didn't go to Ottawa but I will say that when you get to clerkship, the long shifts are not so bad - I was pretty worried myself.

The thing about long oncall shifts is that they're usually very stimulating and the time flies by. You don't usually have a chance to feel tired.

Hope that helps. . . ooh, and I think this is in the wrong forum. :)

Guest marbledust

Sorry to continue this in the wrong forum, but you are totally right UWOMED2005. It's not that bad if you stay busy--its when you stop for a rest/break/slow times that the desire to sleep kicks in. Marathon shifts/no sleep really isn't as bad as I thought they would be. However, they are not so nice that I would want to be a general surgeon, neurosurgeon, etc and have these hours for years or for a career.

A general surgeon told me "sleep deprivation is good for people"--I don't think I would go that far, though...:)

Guest tutifruiti

Hi

clerkship really is a stimulating learning moment during medschool. I am enjoying it too much that I don't ever recall complaining about lack of sleep. My opinion may change after my next rotation which is surgery... (o.

Archived