Monday -

PBL 8:30-10:30

Classes 10:30-1:00

I&PH 1:00-4:00

Tuesday -

Classes 8:30-1:00

Wednesday -

Cliniques simulées 1:00-4:00 (French stream only unless things change this year)

Thursday -

PSD 1:00-4:00

Friday-

PBL 8:30-11:30

You will get breaks between classes here and there.

PBL = Problem-based learning

I&PH = International and population health

PSD = Physician (or is it physical?) skill development

Guest okaycomeonnow

would anyone be able to share the actual schedule for the 1st block from last year that shows the lecture titles? For us new 1st years who are curious!)

Guest FrenchyMed

I'm pretty sure that the faculty does not want previous schedules floating around. Since each week's schedule is different the schedule spans several pages. We usually receive our schedule 1-2 weeks before a block begins. Be patient...

Since the anglo class does not have clinics on Wednesday you guys will be expected to complete more electives to compensate.

Most weeks you will get a few afternoons off. People use them to complete electives, go to the gym, sleep, study, go shopping, go to the movies, work on the week's PBL due on Friday...

Medicine at Ottawa definitely allows for free time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tanya24

Actually, in my opinion, it is quite a sweet schedule! First year anglo has a lot of free time and flexibility. We had 2-3 afternoons off per week. Since each block is about 5-6 weeks long, I think you'll find that the first few weeks of any block are reasonably slack. Yes, you have to review your lectures, read the text book, study the on-line anatomy photos. But I worked MUCH harder and longer hours as an honours biology undergrad than I have in medical school.

Second year anglo is a bit harder, fewer afternoons off, more time in the anatomy labs, shorter blocks. But I think you'll find it manageable as well. In second year, you REALLY treasure those afternoons off since they are fewer.

Just to clarify regarding electives, we are NOT expected to do them. They are not mandatory, we are not pressured by the faculty to do them. They are completely optional. Some people do several per year, some people wait until the summers to do them, and some people do NONE at all. (To qualify as an elective, you have to shadow a physician for 10 hours).

Archived