Premed 101 Forums

Housing Questions

Guest Talon01

Guest Talon01

I tried to search the online UO housing site but I apparently need a password and stud #(which I don't have).

Are classes in the building the that interviews were conducted in?

How much can one expect to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment?

How far away feasibly can one live from campus can one live with/without a car?

Any area's to look at and/or avoid?

Thank you

Guest Ruenil

I was looking for 1 bedroom apartments, and found nice ones for about $750/mo. - I'm told that's pretty standard.

Near the hospital is good - I think classes are in the same building as we had interviews - and near the down town campus in Sandy Hill is also a pretty good student area, since there is a shuttle that can take you (free) right to the other campus.

Guest FrenchyMed

You will receive your student id # and password later this summer. But you may be able to get it now if you contact the faculty.

Yes, you will spend 99% of your time in the RGN building (where interviews were conducted) in firts year.

The cost of a 1-bedroom apt. will vary depending on location. Your choice will depend on a) how much you are willing to spend and B) if you are willing to bus/drive to school.

If you want to be within walking distance, your best bet is Alta Vista / Smyth / Pixley / Riverside area.

If you want to be closer todowntown and the Market, you may want to stay near the main campus in Sandy Hill and take the free shuttle to RGN.

If you have a car and are looking to save some money on rent, then the Vanier area may be of interest. I don't know how much $ you can save though. And some streets/ neighborhoods in Vanier are not great.

If you want to save even more $ and are willing to do some driving (i.e. 30 min each way in traffic) you should look into renting on the Quebec side in Gatineau. There you can get a 1-bedroom for approx $500/month. Although income tax is much higher in that province you won't care because you'll probably be dirt-poor and won't pay any... :rolleyes :b At leat you'll be able to pick up a bit of French!

Good luck!

Guest satsumargirl
I tried to search the online UO housing site but I apparently need a password and stud #(which I don't have).

Hey Talon,

You don't actually need a student number to get a password for the housing site.

I don't have one and I got it. You just need to put in a valid email address, your name etc... then when you've done the form it gives you a client number. When you log on again all you need is your email and password. It is not all that straight forward. You go through all these pages. I laugh that once you get in it always says "Congratulations -NAME - you have successfully logged on blah blah" ...they actually congratulate you that you got on!

But, there isn't anything interesting on that site anyway. I was very disappointed at the options. And the way it is is set up...I don't personally find it user friendly.

I had more success with renters news or the ottawa citizen classifieds. Well, I don't know if success is the right word...I haven't actually made it to Ottawa to look at anything or actually find a place yet.

I dont' know where you are from but I was surprised that rent is relatively high in Ottawa! And then most places make you pay extra for parking! Seems like around $800 may be the 1 B/R rate. I've seen bachelors listed for $600 or so.

I think we are mostly in the building where our interviews were, at least for 1st and 2nd year. I am unclear about how this changes in 3rd and 4th year. And about where our electives are. Or if it is different for the French vs. English programs. Do they send the French students off to Montfort 3rd and 4th year?

I don't necessarily want to be close to RGN if 3rd and 4th year I don't need to be there.

Archived