Premed 101 Forums

Options while waiting for med

Guest moetheshmoe

Guest moetheshmoe

I just completed my Honours degree in Biology, and have not been accepted to any med schools this year. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do come Fall? I have a few options:

1) Start a new undergrad degree. (e.g. nursing, psychology)

2) Start a Masters (thesis-based) - sidenote: don't have much research experience, though will be working as NSERC student in summer.

3) Start a Masters (course-based). - sidenote: my undergrad marks were pretty good (3.7-3.8). Will graduate courses probably end up just lowering my GPA?

4) Look for a job. (What kind of jobs are available for a new grad with a B. Sc?)

5) Not work OR study and just volunteer.

I know the decision ultimately depends on what deep down I really want but just wanted some feedback from others who may have been in my situation and are more informed than me.

Thanks sooo much!

Guest Koppertone

Well, my plan is to enter a masters degree if I don't get into med. I have research experience, but even without it, you should be fine entering a masters program as most people do NOT have a lot of experience who I've encountered.

Guest coastal79

I've spent the last year working, volunteering and enjoying life. I think alot of people go to grad school after not getting into medicine (who still want to get in) because: a) they need to pick up their GPA, B) they are the type of person who has always been "on track" and a Masters feels like it is more "on track" than other options, c) they are really interested in what they are researching or learning, or d) they're getting their backup plan ready. If you are set on medicine, I think the key is to indentify those areas of your application that need to be strengthened, and work on them. And, do something you've always wanted to do. My volunteer experience was quite weak, so that was a big focus for me this year. My "something I've always wanted to do" was martial arts.

I was listening to the CBC today and they were talking about how human beings hate to make tradeoffs and about how, unfortunately for us, making tradeoffs is the essence of life. Each choice probably has some positives and negatives. Just think carefully about your goals, and how you feel you can best fulfill them.

Cheers

Guest Megs

I'll add my two bits here about the work aspect of things. I didn't get in my first try, and my application was pretty complete, and I knew I didn't want to do more research. So I worked, in an area I really enjoyed, with seniors. I think the year was soooo beneficial to me because, first, it gave me a break from school, and second, because I figured out what 'work' was really like. I've only ever had summer jobs, part time work, so it was really interesting to experience going to work everyday for a whole year! The other great things about this are that you can make some cash and you have more time to do volunteer stuff. I know it is not 'ideal' as we wait to get in, but looking back, I don't think I would trade it for anything!

Guest moetheshmoe

The thing that sucks is that I don't think I'll enjoy doing research very much. Plus, I think I'm a little late for fall admission to most grad schools. Will it look really bad on my application if I'm not in school for the fall semester, and begin in the winter instead?

Guest NL07

No, it won't look bad. In all honesty, the first part of the application process to medicine is very mechanical, based in large part on gpa, mcat, and strength of essays etc. The best thing that you can do, and I know many people who have been in your situation, is to do what you want for the next year, something you enjoy, something that you will be able to talk about in your interviews with passion and enthusiasm. Don't feel bad or guilty about doing what you want (even if that's not what others are doing) and most importantly, don't do anything you don't want to do, i.e. research, if that's not your thing.

Research seems to be on the lips of most everyone applying to medicine. Many people in my class right now did not do an ounce of research in their lives. What's for certain, is that whatever they did, they enjoyed it. If I were you, I would take a year or semester off before applying again, volunteer, develop a hobby, learn a language, whatever. It will probably pay off.

Guest Koppertone

Just to build on what other people have been saying, if you're going to enter research make sure it's something that you want to do. I plan to enter the masters program in oncology not as a reference builder for medicine, but as a career. And as a background experience to med, I think it's a pretty poor one at that. I mean you never (or rarely) interact with patients and you get minimal pay which makes the two years to masters slightly rocky if you're going to then be attempting to take on additional student debt with a medical career. There are many other options out there, you just need to look for what you're interested in. Although following the dream of becoming a doctor is honorable (and somewhat addicting) there's more to life than the endless persuit of a career in medicine. This is not to belittle anybody who has entered medical school; it is an amazing accomplishment to get accepted and if I was I'd be honored that I was chosen for a position requiring such responsiblity. However to play the game of chosing a path as a foundation for future medical applications is a choice I no longer wish to make now that I'm done my degree.

Guest climberchick

If I were in your position moe, I'd head overseas for a few months volunteering in a third world country (Either with a medical group, or teaching english or something like that) and after I would travel the world and experience life, becauase once you get into medschool, school is your life. Enjoy your time while you have it !!!! :P

Guest byjude

I think it also depends on why you didn't get accepted this year. Your marks are decent, especially if you're a resident of any province other than Ontario. Did you interview this year and already hear, or did you not receive any interviews?

If you did interview, that's a great start. Obviously, you meet the tangible requirements - marks, experiences, etc, and it's just about getting more life experience to make you an even better candidate next year.

If you did not get an interview, why not? This may also help you target some area to work on in the next year - retaking the MCAT, taking more undergrad courses to boost your average, etc - this could provide you with direction.

As it stands, if you think you can get an interview already, or think it will be the intangibles (ie, more work/volunteering experiences) that will help you to get an interview or get your desired offer, then as you said, it really is up to you what you should do.

Here's my insight, having been faced with a similar decision myself. If your marks are already high enough, then taking another undergrad is not useful unless you really really want to take courses in a new area, or prepare for some possible plan B (eg, as you mentioned, nursing). Most people do extra undergrad either because they have wide-ranging interests that they want to formally cover, because they have yet to fill prereqs, or because they hope to boost their GPA. In your case, if you don't have an intrinsic motivation to do more undergrad, then I would say it's not really worth it unless you go into a professional program like nursing, that would qualify you for another job if medicine doesn't work out (and it may be helpful in your medical career as well).

Grad school - again, the motivation really has to be there. At this point, most course-based grad program deadlines have passed, and your best chances would be to apply to a research-based program. If you're not interested in research, it's probably not worth the bother. Plus, a research-based masters will take you at least 2 more years, or more likely 3. If you're hoping to reapply next year, there are only a few med schools that will accept you mid-way through a masters.

Working - you can always try applying to some jobs, to see what is out there. I would say, compared to what my high school guidance counselors tried to suggest, a science degree is not exactly the easiest route to a job. With a biology degree your best bets for jobs would be working in a lab (eg, a research assistant in a lab - pretty difficult to get with no research experience although your summer job this year may lead to a few departmental links; or more plausibly, a lab position with a pharmaceutical or chemical company), or working in sales (commonly in pharmaceutical companies, but obviously if your interests are broader, so too are your opportunities). A lot of my friends from undergrad who graduated with a degree in biology didn't want to work in either of these areas, and after some extended job searching or unsatisfactory employment, many of them are pursuing further educational opportunities, ranging from college programs to graduate school. It's worth a look for employment - especially check thruogh your Career Services department at school - but don't bank on any stellar opportunities just falling into your lap.

The other option you suggested was volunteering or travel. This is an interesting option, and if you can afford at least the cost of airfare, or the minimum payments on any student loans, this may be an interesting way of spending the next year. This is particularly useful if you feel an unfulfilled need to explore, or you have no holes in your med school application to fill (aside from "life experience"), or you want to have a little bit of time to really think before committing yourself to the next step (grad school, nursing, a job, even medicine). There's a reason why this is a very popular option, and if you can afford the cost of traveling, or at least afford to not make lots of money, it may provide a great opportunity for "life experience". If you check out SWAP (mostly retail jobs in foreign countries) or opportunities to teach English abroad, it's possible to explore a foreign country and not have to pay an arm and a leg to get there. Some international volunteering programs will also cover your living expenses if you pay for airfare to get there, so if you can afford that, it may also be a viable option.

Guest RageoftheDragon

While a Masters is a good idea, like said above, don't do it unless you don't want to. Should you decide to though, if you have a good enough undergrad with decent connections, you could find a person who will try to give you a 1.5 year project such that starting in the winter will allow you a fall entry and a complete masters. It's risky though. A PhD can be put together over 3 years, and lost in 3 minutes. Gotta love research.

Many folk go on about volunteering. While I do consider myself altruistic, I've never felt this deep urge to volunteer. I find that payed jobs, such as publice/private sector research, generally end up giving more to society on a large scale basis, which feels good to me. Contributions can be made in many ways to the betterment of the world, and just because you get payed for it, doesn't mean you're not doing something great for the world. Plus, we all have to afford to live, and a year of volunteering after 4 years of school...sounds like more debt.

RotD

Guest mdhopeful23

i worked. and i volunteered. you can do both. personally, i love volunteering way more than work. its the only time i feel i am doing something worthwhile. now i understand why so many office people, housewives, celebrities, etc. volunteer. it gives a sense of value to your life..imho of course.

working, for me, has been a good dose of 'real life'. having a 9-5pm job, making some $, is a very maturing experience. i am undecided whether i will continue to work if i dont get in again, or go for one of my academic plan b's.

working allows you to develop funds that can help pay for med school. well, that was my plan anyway.

getting a decent job can be tough. but eventually you will run into something...depends how you want to spend your time. can afford to not work? are the rents footing the bill? in that case, volunteering full-time may be a viable option.

Guest coastal79
can afford to not work? are the rents footing the bill? in that case, volunteering full-time may be a viable option.

I don't know. There aren't too many full-time volunteer jobs. If I were evaluating applications, and someone had volunteered say 20-30 hours a week, hadn't worked, and didn't have any other "big" things taking up huge chunks of time, I would seriously wonder how well they can use their time. The exception would be volunteering abroad, where can be an all-encompassing "experience". I would also, probably, be unfairly prejudiced towards them as silver-spoon fed and give them a lower rating in chacteristics such as independence and, hard as it is to judge on paper, maturity. Maybe application markers aren't as biased as me, but maybe not.

Guest moetheshmoe

Though I applied to all Ontario schools, plus Alberta and a few US schools, I didn't get any interviews. My MCAT marks were pretty good, except verbal (11 B, 10 P, 7 V) so that might have done me in right there for all the schools that require MCAT. I think one reason I didn't hear from Mac or Ottawa (no MCAT req) is my lack of extracurricular activities. Sure I volunteered at a hospital, played piano for 10 years, and have done community service here and there, but I think my so-called "life experience" is not that extraordinary, considering schools look for the "best of the best"--Am I right?

Guest byjude

I would say that probably the best thing you can do to improve your odds is to rewrite the MCAT, if you think it is feasible to improve that verbal score. Getting more extracurricular involvement could be great, or finding a full-time job might be just as good as providing that well-rounding experience that will help you across the board, but the MCAT may be the easiest way to improve your chances.

As it stands now, your current scores immediately eliminate your chances at a lot of schools - Western, Queens, probably U of T, and other schools that use the MCAT for absolute cutoffs. If you think it is possible for you to raise your score a couple of points (10 would be phenomenal; 9 would probably be good enough for every school except Queens and an 8 might at least buy you some interviews) then this is probably the easiest and most probable way to improve your odds - as in, it'll have a much bigger impact than adding another degree or volunteering experience.

What you do with the rest of your year is really up to you - though as you have pointed out, you may want to build up the non-academic side of your application (either by getting involved while pursuing another degree program, or by taking time off from school and pursuing non-academic opportunities for awhile)... If it were me, I'd probably look to find a full-time job to save up some money and get a new kind of experience, but it's truly up to you to decide what fits you best.

Archived