Premed 101 Forums

First aid & basic rescuer CPR courses

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Recently, I read a discussion in a thread somewhere around here re: first aid courses. I just had a quick scan of the threads and didn't manage to find the one that covered this topic--ack!

I was having a look at the upcoming St. John Ambulance courses and noted the fee for the first aid and basic rescuer CPR courses. However, I'm sure someone had mentioned that a course offering similar certifications was available via another organization at a cheaper price. Can anyone offer any insights or leads regarding this? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mdhopeful23

hi,

i believe you can find a cheaper price with your university's phys-ed department. red cross will provide these at a cheaper rate to groups of students. try your looking at your physed/recreation schedule. also try the ymca...they offer discounted classes.

i remember most med schools, however, stating that 'st.john ambulance' first aid & cpr training is required. im not really sure how picky they are about this (ie. i doubt they would take away your admissions offer just because you have red cross). nonetheless, i stuck with st.johns. i also ended up volunteering with the brigade, which i really enjoy :D

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks for your response, mdhopeful23. :) Regarding the St. John course, it looks as though the combined first aid/basic rescuer, is conducted over 2 days, from 9-5pm. Can you give me an idea of the course structure? For example, is it generally a half-day of lecture and a half-day of hands-on experience? Are tests or exams involved, i.e., how do they assess your first aid abilities?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lactic Folly

I took Standard First Aid + CPR through campus rec at my university. It was given by the Canadian College of Emergency Medical Services (a division of Canadian First Aid School Corporation), and the certification is recognized by the Heart & Stroke Foundation.

Lectures and discussion were interspersed with hands-on instruction and simulations throughout the two days. At the end, there was a multiple choice test on which we had to score a certain percentage in order to be awarded our certificates.

Guest myllion

Kirsteen,

I've taken the St. John first aid courses that you mentioned. Basically they make you watch a short video (5 mins. or so), then maybe they demonstrate it on a dummy or a real person, then you break off into teams and practice on each other. At the end of the two day course there is a written MC test. I think for most St. John courses you have to get at least 70% to pass. The practical component is an ongoing evaluation over the two days, generally most people pass that unless they keep making the same mistake over and over. Hope this helps.

Guest codloghorn

i took standard first aid. there were a couple of movies. the demonstrator taught everyone how to do CPR on adults, children and babies. we learned about diseases and neurological disorders. then for the rest of the time (ie. 60% of the course) we practiced on each other. in the end there was a test. everyone passed. when practicing on each other, you should go with someone of the same sex. because females might get uncomfortable with males performing CPR on them. :o

Guest Lactic Folly

We practiced CPR on dummies exclusively (some of those compressions can get pretty forceful!) but I do remember bandaging each other up. :)

Guest mdhopeful23

well, i think these responses have given you a good idea of what to expect. st john usually gives you the cpr workbook when you sign up and tell you to come prepared with certain chapters read. having said that, you can get away without doing the readings and just come to the classes. alot of it is common knowledge, or stuff you would have learned in a general health science course. and when you practise in class, most of the info sticks in your head.

there is a mc test, but its not tough. actually, the last time i took the course (there's a refresher every year) we did the test in groups! so that made it even easier. theyre not out to fail you, no worries. sometimes you even get out early...depends who your instructor is

good luck!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks for all the information, everyone. :)

Regarding practicing CPR on live individuals, are you saying that they actually have you practice mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on live folks too? (It sounds as though some centres use dummies for this.) :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest codloghorn

that's not what i meant. :rollin

but there are scenerios given where you have to find this little bone in the center of a person's chest (i don't know the name of the bone). then you simulate compresions and mouth-to-mouth. but if i were female, i wouldn't be comfortable with a male touching me there! 8o

there are dummies that are used too - in addition to the live scenarios.

Guest Steve U of T

I did a Canadian Red Cross course, and it was pretty much the same as everybody else described. We partnered up to identify the landmarks associated with CPR and the Heimlich maneuver, and then practiced compressions and artificial respiration on dummies. I think codloghorn is referring to the xyphoid process, which comes off the bottom of the sternum.

On the second day, which covered the general first aid stuff aside from CPR (bandaging, splinting, recovery position), we practiced everything on each other.

Guest Steve U of T

heh. I never took anatomy. I learned the name of the xyphoid process a few years ago in a Karate class from a black belt who was also a doctor. If we were truly defending ourselves, that is the proper target for mid-level attacks. There's not much else in the torso that's vulnerable.

Guest Elaine I

Hi Kirsteen,

Toronto EMS also runs a combined FA/CPR course. It is slightly cheaper than the St. John course, and is equally recognized. Many of the courses are taught my paramedics. There are various locations around Toronto. If you are interested, the phone number is 416-392-2000. (I'm not sure of the extension, but switchboard will know.)

Elaine

Guest soapyslicer

Hi everyone,

At UBC they run the CPR course at the beginning of the year. Yipee they give paramedics credit so one last thing to do the first week of class. Of course assuming I get the chance I'll do whatever they darn well want me too!!!!

Just finished running a ATLS course and my kids played the victims for the docs. My one daughter has being a trauma down to a fine art. Scares the c**p out of them on their exam when they come around the corner and see a child. I think it's the $50.00 she gets everytime that's the motivator. Seven years old and already working at saving for a car and a house. Way to focussed!!!!:eek

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks for the EMS phone number, Elaine I. I might give them a wee shout to see what they have available (as well as check for a website). :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there cracked30,

That isn't you flexing on the website perchance? ;)

Thanks very much for the link, but I just signed up with the Toronto EMS folks to be trained mid-June at City Hall for $85. (Impressive that they had folks manning the telephones at 8am.) Perhaps someone else would be able to use the link.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hi,

You should feel good about the $85, it is a pretty good deal. I help run first aid/CPR courses for kids in kinesiology, because it used to be required to graduate, and we did it pretty well as cheap as we could get and that was $85. Most other places are over $100 (including most uni's). The only other cheaper places are when you can get it subsidized through work, I teach fitness classes and am required to stay certified. Plus, once certified, re-certs are a lot cheaper and quicker.

have fun, bcp

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I would assume that tax is added to the $85 since we are paying for a service. However, the EMS $85 is still better than the $150 or so that St. John Ambulance asks (and I'd assume they charge tax too). :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest RXK

Hello,

if you're a student at uoft, one of the student organizations is running an upcoming first aid and cpr event. it's being held on may 13 & 14. the cost ranges from $30-$65, so it's a bargain compared to other programs.

please see the following link for more information:

sb.sa.utoronto.ca/

Archived