Premed 101 Forums

Eligibility Requirement: Four Full-Year Courses each year?

Guest RXK

Hello,

could someone please clarify what the following passage, taken from the uottawa admissions website (second paragraph on pg. 4: www.medicine.uottawa.ca/p..._ENG.pdf), means:

"A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance however the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA. Any year with less than four full-year courses will not count as a full-time year of study. A full-time summer semester does not replace a semester of studies within an academic year."

Does it mean that more than 4 courses (i.e. 4.5 or 5) should be taken during the sept. - may academic school year but, if only 4 were taken, you should complete the missing course in the summer or in another academic year as an extra course? or, does it simply mean that 4 full-year courses are the minimum required and if less is taken during the academic year, the missing course should be completed in the summer or another academic year?

i only took 4 full-year courses this past year and am not planning on taking any summer school this summer or extra courses (on top of the 5 full-year courses) next year. so, i just need to confirm that i'm not disqualifying myself because i only took 4 courses this past academic year....

Thanks in advance,

RXK

Guest satsumargirl

Hey RXK,

You should contact the office to clarify (when I was applying the office very willing to answer my questions...If you can, I would wait til this whole admissions/waitlist stuff is done though, I imagine the offices are pretty busy right now.)

But my interpretation is that you need to be taking 5 courses. As that is a regular full-time courseload. If you take 4 courses, that is still considered full-time by universities but U of O wants you to make up the difference either during the summer (grades won't be counted from the summer) or during your next school year (ie take 6 courses).

I think somewhere on the application form it asks that you give a reason for any time you dropped to a reduced courseload...had to work to pay for school etc... I don't know if that is just for part-time or if they still want an explanation for 4 courses. I'd ask just to see and to help you plan for the summer/upcoming semester.

Good luck!

Sats

Hi Sats,

yes, you're right! i just got off the phone with the admissions office and they informed me that i would have to complete the fifth course (either in the summer or as an extra course during the next academic year) before my application year.

thanks so much for the quick reply and best of luck in the future,

RXK

Archived