Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculator

Guest EMHC

When calculating the OMSAS GPA, is it a weighted average (ie: a 4 credit course will weigh more heavily than a 3 credit course) or otherwise?

Also, for Moderators or those who are familiar with the admissions process, how does a OMSAS GPA of 3.55 look? I really have no idea!?

Guest mitchie41

I'm not 100% sure of all schools, but I remember reading on a few ontario med school websites that they calculate your WEIGHTED GPA.

Which makes total sense, becuase why should your 1-credit biology or Organic chem lab be worth the same as your 4-credit Comp Sci course.

So you multiply the number of credits by the GPA(OMSAS TABLE) of an individual course to get a weighted score, you sum up all your weighted scores and divide by the total number of credits to get your weighted average.

Hope that helps.

In OMSAS land a 0.5 credit course is worth 1, a 0.75 weighted course is worth 1.5, a 1.0 credit course is worth 2.

Basically a one semester 'normal' course = 1 and a 'regular full-year course = 2. So a normal 'full-time year' would be worth a total of 10.

Example

Fall Semester

0.5 credit Biology

0.5 credit Chem

0.5 credit Physics

0.5 credit Calculus

0.5 credit Psych

Winter Semester

0.5 credit Genetics

0.5 credit Organic chem

0.5 credit Stats

0.5 credit Electricity and Magnetism

0.5 credit Philopsophy

Each course's mark is converted to a GPA out of 4 based on the conversion table...each one is multiplied by 1 and then added together....the total is then divided by 10.

If each course was not weighted at 0.5, you can find the 'conversion' factor to multiply by the GPA by dividing the course weight by 0.5...thus the GPA of a full year course worth 1.0 credits towards your degree would be multiplied by 2 before adding it with your other course GPA's (1.0/0.5)...

Weighted averages means that each YEAR of your program is not counted the same...some schools calculate a weighted GPA by doing something like: 1st year GPA x 1 + 2nd year GPA x2 + 3rd year GPA x3 divided by 6 = weighted GPA

So, someone with a 4.0 in first year, 3.5 in second year and 3.2 in third year would have a weighted GPA of 3.43....where somebody with the opposite (3.2 in first year, 4.0 in third year) would have a GPA of 3.70.

My question is really this,

What if you had a 1 credit hour course (it's usually a lab) then how would OMSAS look at that. I understand a 3 credit hour course (which you call a 0.5 credit course) is equivalent to 1 but what about a 4 credit hour course? Is it equal to 1.5?

True...to be counted as 1.5 according to OMSAS it must be worth 1.5 times the normal 'one semester weighting'...if you count 3 credits as 1 then it must be 4.5 (up to 6) credits to be 1.5...so it would only be counted as a 1 by OMSAS (see post by UBCPharmer)...if it was 6 credits then it would be counted as 2 by OMSAS, etc.

Lab courses - are worth 0.25 in Ontario (1/2 of a regular semester course) thus they would count for 1/2 according to OMSAS....so if you got 90 in a lab course it is 4.00 x 1/2 = 2.00 to be added to your GPA....and your GPA total would then be divided by 10.5 rather than 10 (assuming that you had 10 other courses that year)...

Beware that a lab credit that is not equivalent in weight to a normal course DOES NOT count for the same weight as a regular course...so you may actually be *short* of the 10 that you need to be considered as 'full-time'...if you are taking a lab course, you either need to take two of them (to equal a full course weight) or you need to take it as an extra course in addition to a 'full course load'....

Archived