Premed 101 Forums

mentioning defering during interviews?

Guest fish132132

Guest fish132132

hi everyone,

i recently decided after i applied that i really want to defer my acceptance if i should be so lucky to be offered admission to medschool. I know that UWO doesn't defer at all, but the other 4 do. I was just wondering, if during my interview, is it admission suicide to mention that i wish to defer my acceptance? thanks for all ur help

Guest drews97

What I mean to say is, if they outright ask you if you would defer (highly unlikely) then don't lie, say that you may consider it. However, why give them any reason NOT to pick you at this stage of the game?? If you get accepted and legitimately need to defer then you should have no problem. I just feel that, until you actually get accepted to medical school, whether to defer or not is a moot point...if you come across as wanting to defer right off the bat, they may question your desire to be in medicine this year!

Guest jmh2005

Personally, I think you should apply when you are ready to go...I agree with Western's policy... deferrals should be allowed in the case of illness, death etc...

If you really want to finish your degree, than do that and apply to medicine when you are ready. I definately wouldn't mention it in an interview :)

Guest chemgirl

I guess it may depend which school you are at, here is my perspective from the U of A:

When I applied I asked the admissions officer if I should even bother, since I was pretty certain I would have to defer a year to finish my degree. She said absolutely you should apply, the U of A will only grant deferrals for cases like illness OR finishing your degree. She also said that the interviewers would most likely think it showed maturity not to abandon one degree when better prospects come up. It is so hard to get in to med school, why would you wait until the very end of your degree? Why not have a crack at it a year before you finish? If you don't get in at that time, you can try again, and you would have had the practice of going through things once before.

As for the interviewers, if they asked me, yes I would tell them that I plan to defer and my reasons why. I am less than a year from getting a PhD and I would not run away from that to go into medicine. Even though I now know that I made the wrong choice for me when I picked research, I owe my supervisor, who has supported me in my research as well as my med applications, way more than that.

Archived