Premed 101 Forums

any last minute input...

Guest tim23

Guest tim23

Hi guys, looks like my time on this forum is coming to an end (I really don't like internet forums, I made an acception for this cuz the application process is so expensive - maybe I'll be back for Carms matching :) ), but before I make a really important decision I was looking for some last minute input from anyone who wants to respond.

Right now I've been accepted to U of O, Queens, U of T, and U of M. For personal/financial reasons I'm 98% sure I'm going to go to U of M (there's a few open spots for those waiting), I know that once I leave Winnipeg I probably won't come back and I'm not really prepared to do that right now. Plus I actually think there program is pretty good, atleast as good as U of O and Queens. But if anyone out there thinks that I'm making a really bad decision please speak now or forever hold your peace lol :)

Thanks for everyone for their advice throughout this process,

Peace

Tim

Guest wattyjl

well, my personal belief is if you're not ready to leave then don't do it. it's been said a billion times - you won't get a bad medical education in canada, and any program pluses or minuses more than likely will come down to personal opinion. i.e., it depends on what you want in a school. i was equally impressed with queen's, UofO and UofT, but for personal reasons decided on calgary.

i remember i picked mac (mcmommy) for undergrad cuz it was close to my home - i wasn't ready to leave. now i'm ok with it. do it when you feel ready, go with your gut.

i guess one possibly important 'medschool' question is what are your options for leaving manitoba for clerkship rotations/electives? i have a friend at queen's and i think she might have spent only 2wks out of the last 5months at queen's during her electives. this might be advantageous if you thought you might want to experience a larger centre like UofT, just to see what it's like (though with so many other clerks, residents, and fellows there... but anyway, that's personal again).

and yea, didn't you just blow a large wad on a car?? ;)

best wishes whatever your decision.

Archived