Premed 101 Forums

a tough choice (any help would be appreciated)

Guest med2006

Guest med2006

HI

I hope everyone is doing well.

As you may have guessed from the subject line, I was lucky enough to have a choice for medical schools. This post is not aimed at publicizing my admission offers or sounding arrogant. I needed some honest and sincere advice in making a decision.

Sort of a: what would u do??

Where: I got admission into Alberta, Wesern, Toronto, and Ottawa.

I have to decide between Toronto, Western, and Ottawa. They are all amazing schools and I was impressed by all of them. I will tell you what factors are important for my decision.

1) Financial:

I mean this is on everyone's list. But my situation is a bit different. It's not just paying for my education (for which I can ofcourse use loans, credit lines etc), but that I have dependents as well. I support my family financially and I will have to continue to do it.

Thinking of this, Toronto just seems a bit too expensive.

2) Distance:

For personal reasons I would like to be as close to home as possible. Western and Ottawa are the same in this. But, UofT has an advantage, b/c I live in mississauga. But, do you think its wise to commute to Toronto?

There are a lot of other small things, but these two factors are the most imporant.

Please don't think that I don't consider curriculum etc. an important criteria, but I feel that all these schools are quite good and will help me succeed.

I tried to keep the message short :P

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Med2006

Guest CTU24

Hey med2006...congrats on your boatload of acceptances...very impressive

Here are some answers based on U of T info:

1. Financial. Yes Toronto is expensive. Tuition is 17k. And housing is pricey too. Busaries and scholarships based on financial need are definitely available...but it is not uncommon for med students (not just at U of T) to accumulate a debt of 100k+

2. Distance. A commute from Mississauga is not only possible but rather common. We have people who commute from Scarborough, Brampton, and drumroll please....Guelph. It's a little tough for 8am starts to 4pm finishes at the beginning of the year, but it lights up significantly later on and even the first part of the year is lighter for the 0T9s next year. That would also help you out financially b/c you wouldn't have to pay downtown rent.

Hope that answered everything and best of luck with your choice,

CTU24

Archived