Premed 101 Forums

US/Int'l electives bureaucracy

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there:

I have yet to check with my own electives dept, but I am thinking of doing an elective in the US for a few weeks.

I know the travel and malpractice insurance details, but what about immigration/visa protocols? In other words, if any of you have done electives in the US in particular and you fly there, do you say your purpose of travel is business/pleasure/work/study etc. Do you see what I'm getting at? "Medical elective" could fit into multiple categories, and with the insane "Homeland security act" you can be removed or denied entry into US if you enter under false pretenses?

Am I making a big deal out of this or is it potentially a very critical issue?

Macdaddyeh

First, you'll have to get a visa which shouldn't be a problem if you have set an elective up with a school. I'm guessing the visa will be a B1 visa, although I'm not sure about this. Anyway, I've met many international students from Mexico, Pakistan, Taiwan, Iran, etc. in Chicago and they have never described any difficulties in coming over.

Guest Jochi1543

It will be for study purposes. I disagree with moo's statement that it will most likely be a B1 visa. B1 is a visitor visa and you can't use it for study purposes. It's also hard to get if you don't have a guarantor in the US. You will most likely have an F1 visa, this is the visa that all foreign undergrads I know, including myself, have. There are also some other student visas out there, J1 and H1, I think, but I'm not too familiar with them. However, as a Canadian, you wouldn't have too much of a problem, I'm sure about that. Unfortunately, as a Russian citizen, I had to apply for my undergrad F1 3x before I finally got it. You'll need proof of funds to show you can support yourself while in the States, since your visa won't allow you to work. Good luck!

I have an F1 too, but I'm not sure whether they will get an F1. I know Caribbean students who do their rotations in the US have a B1, that's why I say this. I assume when Canadian students do their rotations, they are like Canadians from the Caribbean. In any case, it doesn't matter what it says on your form. Bottom line: I don't think you'll have trouble getting in.

Archived