Premed 101 Forums

American and Canadian Residencies

Guest Koppertone

Guest Koppertone

I'm curious, I've heard before that if you do your residency in the United States you cannot practice in Canada until you do a residency here as well. Is this true? And in addition, if I do a residency here in Canada, do I then have to do a residency in the US if I want to work there? Thanks!

Guest aneliz

This depends on specialty... there is no universally applicable rule. The problem is that some residencies are different lengths in the US vs. Canada... for example, internal medicine and paeds are both at least 4 years long here. In the US, they are three.

In order to practice in Canada, you need to have finished a residency program that meets the requirement of the royal college so that you are eligible to write the Canadian royal college exam in whatever specialty. One of the things that makes a residency 'acceptable' is the length. So, if you go to the US and do a shorter residency, you will not have completed an 'acceptable' residency program and will not be able to write the exams and practice in Canada... until you 'make up' the time by doing the missing years of residency in Canada.

Of course if the specialty that you pick has the same length of residency in the US and Canada, you won't have this problem.

As for going the other direction (Canada to US) I have no idea of the rules because I have never looked into it.

Archived