Premed 101 Forums

Queen's vs. Western vs. U of T Med school.

Guest not too sure

Guest not too sure

This is my first time posting, but I have been following this forum for a while. I have been lucky enough to gain admission into Queen's, Western, and U of T meds. But know I am faced with probably one of the toughest decisions of my life, and was hoping you guys could help me out. I did my undergrad at Queen's (and am guaranteed a $6500 scholarship for one more year), I live in a suburb of TO (but would get my own place in the city if I chose U of T), and am trying to figure out reasons to choose one school over the other two. I know in the end it is my own decision, but I would really appreciate the input of some of the more "knowledgeable" people out there, as I really can't decide. In terms of program, etc, which is the best school? Should I be looking for the school with the best reputation, or go back to my alma mater just because I'm used to it? Most of my school friends are applying to meds next year, so they can't really help me now.

ANY input towards my problem would be GREATLY appreciated, both pros and cons about either/all the schools I mentioned. I am the MOST indecisive person in the world, and this decision is one that will affect the rest of my life!!!

Thanks a lot!

Guest therealcrackers

You're not going to get a poor education anywhere you go. Congratulations on your successful application!

Queen's: don't know much about meds there --- sister did law, so I understand the sense of community and the strong pull of familiar turf. Relatively inexpensive, closely packed city. Med education seems to be really sharp there. Smallest catchment area in the province means less in the way of unusual cases...

U of T: all the toys, all the interesting cases, all the possible programs. A chance for a wide exposure, and some of the best clinicians and teachers on the planet. Big pyramid, though, as a result: junior student, clerk, resident, senior resident, fellow, then staff. Big class (both PRO and CON). Enormous research opportunities. Expensive city to live in, big commute time a potential.

Western: mid-sized program, mid-sized city, mid-price range. Most of the bells, not all of the whistles. Lotta time on your butt in class the first two years. Very strong clerkship program --- first call for surgery and medicine ward stuff + the admissions. All of core rotations done before electives and CaRMS. Very strong school for surgery, medicine, and OB. Big emphasis on regional medicine, too...

Hope you have fun deciding! And good luck next year.

Guest aneliz

Picking a med school is no different than what we have all been telling the high school grads about picking an undergrad school...

Bottom line: you will get a quality education at any of them...there is no one choice that will make/break your residency application and the ultimate decision rests, not on school reputation, but on how YOU will fit with both the program structure and the community (this means distance from family, living arrangements, living costs, etc). How well you do will be dependent on how happy you are at the school and how hard you work...not the school's reputation or number of toys...

There is really no difference between picking an undergrad school and picking a med school. Every one of us is going to tell you what the strengths of our school are and the *relative* weaknesses that we perceive at other schools...same as asking any undergraduate anywhere to comment on their undergrad program and comparable programs at other schools.

Good luck with your decision!

Hey,

I think I have the same scholarship at Queen's....but I'm not sure that you can carry that last $6500 over into med school. That may be something you want to clarify with them and may play a part in your decision of where to go. If you find out either way whether you get to carry the money over, would you let me know? :)

Guest summervirus

I gotta agree with the UWO folk too! None of the schools will give you a poor education. Of course, if you ask a medical student about his/her school, there will almost always be a sense of loyalty to the school, which is understandable (and okay)!

But, I understand your dilemma. If I was offered admission to those three schools, I would have a hard time choosing between them too! They're all really good!

Archived