Calgary & McMaster- pros and cons of each

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

Please feel free to add to my personal (read personal) list:

Mac Pros

Independent study

Some lectures

Not a lot of testing

Great for people who come from non-science backgrounds because it doesn't require the MCAT and you won't be left in the dust on the first day.

Innovative hospital.

PBL- good for lifelong earning but some say it is overused at Mac. I think it is a really great concept.

Very complex admission process probably results in a top-notch class.

Mac Cons

It's in Hamilton and they just did that study on mice where the ones that breathed non-filtered hamilton air had 2x the genetic mutations...

You have a lot of homework because of PBL whereas at other schools you are only responsible for tests

The admissions staff seemed very impersonal to me- they seem to have an inflexible and systematic process and do not make exceptions for applicants (ex. telling them info over the phone). I have a problem with such an impersonal process because a doctor should be very personal and compassionate not impersonal and stuck to rigid procedures.

I had the feeling that a lot more people commute and that would limit the social atmosphere.

No residence (on campus) for non-first year undergrad students.

I was never sent the money promised to me for completing their study during interviews.

Calgary Pros

At the end of the day, you are not obligated to do a lot of research for pending PBL sessions.

International electives and bursaries for them.

Cleaner city

Near Banff

I have had a much more pleasant experience dealing with the admissions office- faster responses, they seem to care more, they actually call you to tell you you are admitted etc.

A lot of social activities and events.

Calgary Cons

Unpredictable weather.

Starts a month earlier than most schools.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I was never sent the money promised to me for completing their study during interviews.

Sounds like Mac is a bunch of crooks. Go to Calgary. :rollin

Best of luck!

Timmy

P.S.: No offense intended, but I just found that quite funny!

Guest McMastergirl

On your cons list for Mac,

1. I agree with the bit about Hamilton... not the world's most glamourous city! However, there are nice parts of Hamilton too. And it's close to Toronto, Niagara, etc.

2. Lots of people commute, but this doesn't seem to have an affect on the "social atmosphere"... this is just conjecture, but perhaps it is because, at least in my class, it was the older students with families (mostly) that did the commuting thing.

3. You're going to judge a school by its admissions staff?!?! You will never have to deal with them again. The important thing is the rest of the MD office staff. And at Mac we have some of the best! Seriously, the majority of the staff members in the MD office are wonderfully helpful. You will often see them getting and giving hugs to students, they are just that nice. One is even a notary public and notarizes everything for us free! (this becomes important in your final year).

I don't know a thing about Calgary, but from what I've heard it's a great city. Good luck with your choice!

McMaster girl

Archived