Premed 101 Forums

Was getting into med school the hardest part?

Guest Edwarder

Guest Edwarder

Here is a saying I have heard more than once in the past...

Getting into medical school is the hardest part.

I am just wondering what current medical students have to say about this...

Ed

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

When I was chatting with a general surgery resident the other day, she said that, from her experience, getting into McMaster for medical school was the hardest part. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Shahenshah

I agree based on my experience so far...until getting IN, there is always the pressure of getting top marks and that means every quiz, every test, and every exam means something and one has to give his/her best shot always (or atleast try to)...and the uncertainty of ever getting IN can be very stressful too..once IN though, you know that as long as you keep up and make a decent effort, there is a good chance you will be a doctor....it really is a completely different feeling once inside..of course, there are many hard stressful periods(clerkship, residency) yet to come for me, but no matter what happens I know that as long as I do my part reasonably well and atleast survive everything coming my way, I will be ok..plus there are loads of support systems in school to help you through the way and you really get the feeling that everyone is in it together, including the faculty that really tries to genuinely help you..of course, if I was hell-bent on super competitive specialties, my feelings might be different..(also I'm equating 'hardest' with 'most stressful' not necessarily more work as that varies from block to block..)

Guest cutieyellow

I think that from my experience up to now, getting in was definitely the hardest part. Once you're in, it's slow cruising from here on. Because my school is not pass or fail, grades do somewhat matter still, so it's still slightly stressing. However, because i'm already in, if i get a B somewhere, i won't be depressed and wont' think that all my chances are shot or whatnot, just like how i felt in my Undergrad.

I remember, i once had a C+ in one of my classes during my undergrad, and i honestly thought the world was over. Ahhh...so there is a world after a C ! lol.

Medical school is a lot of work, but to me, it doesn't even compare to how much work it was just to get in.

CY

Archived