Premed 101 Forums

Questions about Roommates....

Guest eclairs

Guest eclairs

Hmm...

i got into med school and right now Im stuck between living by myself, or living with some roommates (who may or may not be in med school)..

I know this is should be a personal thing, but i'd thought it be useful to see what you folk already in the med world think....

One of the things im concerned about is rooming with fellow med students who I dont know, and then having things not work out and then having things being all awkward in med school...

on the other hand, im concerned that i might be "bored" or might be missing out on good ol' bonding with some of my classmates (or miss out hanging with people other than med students..).

so whad'yall think?

First off congratulations! What school are you going to?

I lived with a roomate who i had never met before and it was a great experience. He, like most people in my class, are very outgoing, considerate and fun to have around especially when times get rough.

I suggest that living with a roomate in first year helps ease the transition as you always have somethere with you going through the same thing. For me this made my year go by smoothly and also gave me some memorable moments to cherish for a lifetime.

Another positive note that I would like to add is that having a roomate helps keeps costs down. Cheaper rent, utilities and food costs are a great thing about having a roomy.

I say go for it. If things go bad, you still have 3 years to get away from them :P . But generally speaking the people who are looking for roomates are social and pleasant!

Thats my 1.5 cents.

V

Guest aneliz

I agree with V...even though my roomate experience last year wasn't 100% fantastic, it definitely was better than being on my own...and I am doing the roomate thing again this year...although with a different person....

I would however advise that you stay away from having a group of three...because when there is conflict it very quickly turns into 2 on 1 (as it was in my situation last year) and it is not fun being the '1' ....if you have less or more people, this is not such an issue...

My 2 cents.

Guest JSS02

Living with roommates makes things a lot cheaper. While obviously there is a risk that you might not get along with them perfectly, chances are that it will at least be "OK", if not better. During 1st year I lived with 3 other guys (2 of whom are in my med school class, and the other in a different program), and I thought it worked out pretty well. We're all going to be staying there again for the upcoming school year.

In my opinion, it really depends on how you feel. If you're moving to a new city and have never lived on your own before, you may want to have a roommate to ease the transition. When I finished my undergrad I really wanted to live on my own for awhile, since I had already spent four years living with roommates. Both were great experiences. I really enjoyed the independence of living alone, and, I must admit, the solitude. It was more expensive, but worth the experience and freedom of having my own schedule and habits that didn't affect anyone.

I could seeing living with people from your class being both rewarding and problematic. If you and your roommate ended up hanging out with the same people all the time and seeing each other all day, every day, it may wear thin at times. But, if you and your roommate have different interests, it may turn out to be great.

Guest Carolyn

I had lived in large houses (5 women) for much of my undergrad before I went to medical school and the time in between and loved it... So in my first year of med school I moved in with 3 others. It was just okay. I ended up living with a phenomenal girl (ended up being one of my best friends in med school), semi-okay person (but couldn't stand her boyfriend who was cheating on his wife the whole time and they sucked face in front of us the whole time they were together at our house) and a real NUTCAKE... Fortunately the Nutcake didn't target me but the other two in my house really had a time of it... and there were definitely a lot of tense moments I would have preferred not to have had in my first year.

I would suggest choosing wisely... make sure the other person has lived with roommates before (check out their resume -- did they move every year and end up with a different roommate each time? Are they an only child who has always lived at home? (of course this can be fine... but can also be a bit of a disaster) Do they have lots of friends that they speak of when chatting... do they have lots of complaints about old roommates etc. etc. etc (okay now this sounds like ME! :) ) All warning signs...). Set some boundaries... make sure you have some common values about studying and what your needs are for the house...

While it was tense at times, it definitely made the first couple of weeks a heck of a lot easier. After that we all developed our own networks and went from there. In my second year, I moved into my own apartment for the first time in my life. I set up next door to my good friend from my first year house and it was great. Always someone to share dinner with or watch tv with when you wanted company but lots of personal space and made life much easier during clerkship when you can be on pretty different schedules.

Guest UofCMeds2005

Personally, I had a roomate in first year and now I am living alone. It is more expenisive, but for me it is worth it. I like to be able to study when I want, where I want, and how I want. So, for me living with someone else is difficult. But if you like studying away from home or don't like quiet study time... Even if you two are in the same program there is no guarentee that the two of you have the same study habits or will want to study at the same time. Also, if you really need a rest from med school - living with someone from med school makes you live it 24/7.

Archived