Premed 101 Forums

IB credits

Guest 604EL

Guest 604EL

Does anyone know which schools in Canada do not accept IB credits?

Also, do you think it's better to use the IB credits or would it be better to take first year courses again?

Guest FungManX

Hey Benny,

I'm not sure about some of the questions you've asked, but regarding re-taking courses if there is already IB credit for it.

I think it'd be wise not to re-take the course if you want to keep the GPA up, so unless the IB mark is completely messed up, then yeah re-take it.

I have a few friends that have taken IB courses in HS and had great marks. They came to UBC and wanted to re-take the course just for the heck of it and ended up with sub 80 grades.

Guest canuck0000

604EL:

Regarding the acceptance of IB credits, if you mean undergraduate schools in Canada which do/do not accept IB credits, UBC, SFU, and UVic all accept these (I'm not sure about other schools). If you mean for application to medical schools, I think all the schools will accept them as fulfilling certain pre-requisites (ie. English IB credits or History IB credits as part of your Arts course credits).

In regards to your second question, many of the people I know who did IB in high school used IB credits to fulfill their Arts or Science requirements in undergrad (if they were in Science or Arts respectively) but not to fulfill pre-requisites for later course work in their majors/area of concentration. Personally, I "used" my History, English, and Philosophy credits but re-took Chemistry since I wanted to go into a major which required the latter as a pre-requisite (though technically my English credits are the only ones I really used...I didn't need the History or Philosophy credits since I took enough Arts courses to satisfy the Arts requirement for a BSc without them...actually, I really didn't have a choice with "re-taking" Chemistry now that I think about it...I did one of those conglomerate, integrated first-year science programs, which don't allow you to pick and choose which science courses to take). I think it sometimes helps to re-take the course if you're going to need the material later on, since the material covered in IB isn't always the same or as in depth as in university.

Guest TKP 123

Hi,

I agree with Canuck000.

When I was at high school, I took IB Math and Chemistry (HL). However, I feel that the content I learned there is just enought to fulfill the IB Exams, but certainly insufficient to form a strong foundation for my BSc degree.

So, I retake first year Maths and Chemistry at UBC, and since I kind of knew the stuff already, I aced pretty well in these 2 subjects. I did not regret re-taking them. Besides, there are some topics in first year courses which are not covered in IB Courses. IB courses were pretty rush in my old days, and I am not sure if I really understood the stuff....

TKP

Guest 604EL

Hey wassup Vince. Don't worry man, you'll get in.

Btw, I saw you post on revscene, I think it might be a good idea for you to post your question here since there are both pharmacists and nurses on this board, so that'll probably give you a more balanced view.

Archived