Premed 101 Forums

class of 2009, who are you?

Guest vitegeist

Guest vitegeist

In an effort to get to know a few of you who will be starting Year 1 at UBC this September, I thought maybe we could post a bit about ourselves. Some random points:

I'm Jessica.

- Accepted the offer from VFMP.

- Originally from Thunder Bay, Ontario (I'm not proud of it!)

- I live off-campus, but very close to the gates

- did 3 years in the Integrated Sciences program at UBC

- have a major interest in all things "Neuroscience"

- I'm a bit of a geek: I really really like my computer, my TI-83+, etc. Eyeing a PowerBook or a Palm at present.

- currently working in different capacities with three labs on campus: one in biopsychology, another in psychiatry, and the last in zoology

- I am 20

- my MCAT and marks weren't fantastic; I consider myself well-rounded, but not particularily skilled at any one thing

- can't wait to play hockey with the other Meds.

- hoping there is a ski/snowboard trip through MUS

- this summer, I'm off to Saylulita, Mexico for 2 weeks (it's just north of Puerto Vallarta, will be doing some surfing there with my best friend). Will also be going to Belfast for 2 weeks to visit my boyfriend, after a short visit home to Ontario.

- reading The Confusion (part 2 of The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson). Next up is Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

- last night I watched Bande à Part, helped mouse proof someone's kitchen, and drank hot chocolate0]

Guest kupo

hmm let's see,

i'll keep my name anonymous for now =)

1) I'm filipino.

2) I'm 23 (thats awesome you got in at 20, jess)

3) I hail from the Queen Charlotte Islands (huzzah!)

4) I dont live anywhere close to UBC. living in New West to save money (live with parents for first year, if commuting drives me nuts, i'll move)

5) did 5 years of Micb and Imm at UBC (co-op), took a year off and worked in ottawa. now im headed for the VFMP at UBC.

6) I'm a geek too (aren't we all? :rollin ). Really eyeing that Apple 12.1" powerbook.

7) MCAT and marks. Marks fairly good i suppose. MCAT ok (wrote it twice - had deficiencies in each attempt). 8) am i well-rounded? maybe i should get in shape haha. actually I'd like to think so. I like to play intramural anything - ball hockey, ultimate, soccer, volleyball, squash, badminton, and baseball. I also like skiing too.

9) teaching the MCAT this summer. playing lots of ultimate and volleyball right now. so much fun (and i cant complain about the weather so far!).

10) i dont read often (and I know i should) but im currently reading A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as well as the Park and Sun volleyball net instruction booklet.

Guest mitchie41

Good idea Vitegeist!

1) I Accepted the offer from VFMP.

2) I'm from a Suburb, far far away from UBC.

3) I'm 20.

4) I did 3 years of a Math degree.

5) I'm a geek too....I guess :lol

6) I'm working on a research project in Math right now.

7) I read a lot of nonfiction stuff, and I don't even remember the last novel I read.

8) I'm really looking forward to med school.

Guest keltok

Sounds great...I'm all for getting to know people asap.

1) I will be in the IMP...so it looks like I'll know y'all for a grand total of four months...:(

2) Birthplace: Calgary. But my formative years were spent in the beautiful backwater of Duncan, on Vancouver Island. My family's all there, thus my choice of the IMP.

3) Wow...you all are so young! I'm 24. I sorta kicked around a bit with no real direction for a couple of years...but I've straightened out now (hopefully...)

4) Spent 5 years doing undergrad things at Bishop's (Quebec), B.Sc. in Bio, and B.A. in Music. This was not due so much to my desire to have two degrees as it was to my impressive level of disorganization.

5) Not as much of a geek as I ought to be. I love Monty Python and Lord of the Rings, but I can't find my way around Linux, or program, or do math or anything. Much to my bf's dismay.

6) Teaching MCAT too...tho I don't think I've met you Kupo. Maybe for a different company...I also work in a little cafe in Kits

7) Which is also where I live.

8) My app strength was MCAT and marks. My extracurrics are sporadic and all over the place. Mainly in performing arts and sports. So yeah, casual sports in med school would be grand.

9) I'm a sci-fi/fantasy whore. Right now, reading Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman. Will then be moving on to the Princess Bride (the book...)

10) Last night I watched StarWars Ep III (cool except for the love scenes...but that's to be expected), ate two pounds of cherries, and got to watch a really pissed of guy in an Audi try to take on a bus.

My name's Keltie

Guest kupo

hey keltie,

i probably havent met you yet. i work for Kaplan. but i dont think i've met any of the MCAT teachers. i was trained in ottawa when i was living there. in fact, I just met the manager in person a week and a half ago!

Kupo

Guest nathiam

Hello all,

My real name is Matthew.

1) I am in the IMP... I too will only get to know you for the first four months, though I am sure Kelti and I will be chums by the end...

2) I am originally from Ontario, but moved to BC in 1996 to attend music school in Nelson, BC. (Yes, I am a has-been, wanna-be rock star!!) Lived there till my transfer to UVic two years ago.

3) I guess at 28 I am the oldest one so far to post to this thread. My wife and I just celebrated out 1 year anniversary about a week ago.

4) I just finished a combined degree in Biology and Psychology at UVic. My previous endeavour at music school gave me a diploma as a Recording Engineer.

5) At heart I am probably a geek -- though I would NEVER admit it in public. So you are all now sworn to secrecy, right? I love tinkering with technology, can't wait to buy a new computer (something powerful enough to handle audio/visual stuff).

6) This summer I have predominantly been reading novels (on the fourth so far), just took up salt water fishing, and am trying to chill-out and mentally prepare for this fall. Hoping to travel to Newfoundland at the end of summer for a family reunion - my wife is a Newfie - which will be a most interesting adventure...

7) I presently live in Victoria, close to the university.

8) I guess I got in because I am well rounded, and have no desire to ever practice in a major center. I think I was made for the rural environment. As well, I am pretty rounded and have a large variety of life-experiences. My interview seemed horrible to me, but something must have went right. I have high marks (about 92% or so), but my MCAT wasn't crazy high... I am personable, but slightly shy (till you put me onstage with my guitar), and I am WAY better one-on-one than in large groups (my Introversion strikes again!!).

9) I love Sci-Fi and fantasy novels as well. Just finishing the last book in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar saga, though it pales in comparison with Tolkein. I like lots of detail in a novel (LOTR, Silmarillion etc...), but am a sucker for a good story even if the detail lacks. Keltie, a quick read that will forever change the way you see the UVic campus is Watership Down by Richard Adams -- you will never see all the rabbits the same!!

10) Last movie a saw was Hotel Rwanda. Ouch. It was a great movie, wrenched my heart, made me angry, and kept me crying... It was great fuel for my desire to do International work -- which is what my wife and I have planned for the future.

Anyway, just a bit about me. I will try to remain current on this board, but I tend to spend less time online in the summer. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you soon! Enjoy whatever you are up to this summer...

Archived