Premed 101 Forums

Saskatchewan Admissions

Guest EGral

I was just wondering if anyone knew how Saskatchewan Medical School converts from the 4.0 scale to percentage. I mean, if I have a 4.0 gpa from a school in which that is the highest grade you can get and it requires a 93-100%, what percentage will I have in terms of their admissions process. I emailed them and they haven't responded yet. Thanks.

Guest geekpunk

I'm from Nova Scotia and I'll be applying this year.

Are the MCAT cutoffs for OOP province applicants higher than for in-province? I couldn't find anything on the Admissions website. I've got a 33P (w/ a lousy 8 in Verbal) so I was wondering if that'd be competitive enough for the 6 OOP seats.

Also, kosmo14,

According to the grade conversion chart you posted in the Gen Pre-Med thread, my two best years average comes out to 92%. Again, does this put me in a good position for receiving an interview?

Feedback from previous OOP applicants would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot

Guest kosmo14

no change on MCAT requirements for OOP. Based on your MCAT score you meet the MCAT requirement (they even allow a 7 in one section). As far as your average I cannot comment on whether it will get you an interview or not. I can only tell you that in the past it would have been good enough for an interview.

Good luck

Guest silverjelly86

kosmo14, I was wondering if you could help me out with a question that I have about OOP applicants. What are my chances to get an interview/get into USask medical school? I have basically perfect grades, and a 34N MCAT. Based on their last year stats, there were 279 OOP and only 28 interview offered to OOP applicants, from which only 6 were chosen for admission! Those seem like pretty impossible odds!

Thanks is advance for any help.:)

Guest kosmo14

I think with very good grades and the fact that you made the cut for the MCAT you should have a good chance to get an interview. It usually ranges from 87-89% as the cutoff for and interview. Once you get the interview then it is up to you. The interview matters the most as most peoples academic record is very similar. Another thing to remember is that 20-30 may get interviews and many will do well, but those with the stellar academic record and good interviewing skills will likely be interviewing elsewhere and many may get in elsewhere and choose to go to another school. The numbers may look daunting but it is not as bad as you think especially if you are offered an interview.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Actually, I have a quesiton regarding the "cut" for the mcat scores. I know that the average mcat section score for entering oop students was 11, however, does anyone know what score would be considered "acceptable" for interview? I only ask this because I got 31Q on the MCAT. Any idea or suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

Guest kosmo14

The flags are as follows:

8 in each section + an N in the writing sample. You are allowed to have either one 7 in a single section OR an M in the writing sample but not both.

Therefore you at least meet the writing sample score and therefore you will need at least an 8 in two of the sections and at least a 7 in the third.

If you meet those criteria then you meet the MCAT cutoff.

Hey guys, I was an OOP last year. I got an interview and got an offer of admission 10 days post interview (first 6 people). My MCAT was 31P (11V, 10P, 10B), and my best two years were 90.5%. Last year everyone above 90% got an interview and then it was all about the interview (I got 24, so I guess that was good enough). I hope my stats will calm some nerves, because it sounds like you guys are very competitive for USask. I did decide to decline USask and go to UBC and I heard that USask went through quite a few OOPs to fill those 6 spots. So...if you get an interview, you have very nice chances, or so it seems.

Also, I was impressed with the school and admission people. The whole experience was definitely very relaxed and friendly.

Good luck guys!

The highest grade at my school is an A=4.0gpa. Since we don't have A+'s, would my 4.0 overall gpa be considered a 95% at UofS? Also, since you can't get an average higher than that, and the fact that I met their MCAT cutoffs, would that guarantee me an interview there as an OOP? Also, if someone has gone through the process, when they send out interview requests, what do they ask for (i.e letters of recommendation, essays, etc...). Thanks for all of your help!

The admissions office sent me an email upon my request and this is the outline for grades for a school that uses a 4.0 scale with an A being the highest grade attainable:

A = 93%

A- = 84%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 72%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

Does anyone know what the average score for gpa and interview was for accepted OOP's last year? I know that 76% of your score is from your gpa and 24% is based on your interview.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived