Premed 101 Forums

Waiting a year before Premed. Advice?

Guest Takeayr

Guest Takeayr

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am glad that there are med students and med school applicants here to help.

I just graduated from Grade 12 in Saskatchewan. My career goal is to be a doctor. I have two years experience Junior Volunteering at the local hospital.

My main grade 12 marks were:

Eng 30 – 88

French 30 – 76

Biol 30 – 81

Chem 30 – 80

Physics 30 – 77

Math A30 – 83

Math B30 – 76

Math C30 – 73

My grade 12 average was around 80%. I understand that to get into med school you have to have

1) in the high 80’s in the 1st two years of premed

2) a good interview mark

3) pass the MCAT’s.

I believe that I do not have the academic background to just walk into U of S 1st year and raise my average 8 to 10% points.

I have chosen, therefore, to take off a year before going to U of S. I have a job in a doctor’s office and intend to do some remedial academic preparation. I wish I could take one night class while I am working this year and then just 4 classes in Sept 2006, but the rules say I have to take a full 15 credits per semester over the two years. This is correct isn’t it?

I think I am good at chemistry but weak at physics.

1) Should I take a correspondence/online Physics 100 class that would not show up on my U of S transcript?

2) Should I buy an MCAT preparation course that they sell over the internet?

3) Are there certain courses in the 2 yr premed that have the reputation for being the hardest?

I would appreciate any advice regarding how I should prepare myself to get in the high 80’s at U of S.

Thank you,

Takeayr

Guest RageoftheDragon

Don't do the physics thing, as Phys 111 is a pre-req.

Yes 30 credit hours over the year, 5 classes a semester.

For MCAT prep, buy somebody's used Kaplan book and study it for now, as things may change over the next 2 years. If they do, you'll want the new Kaplan book then. Might as well save money while you can.

High school marks mean nothing once you've used them to get into university. Boosting your marks by 10% may be easy as pie, or may be totally unachievable. You can only find out when you get there. But taking a year off is a good idea IMO.

If you find physics hard then undergrad physics will likely be hard. If chem easy, likely it will be easy. Organic chem has a rep for being tough though...

Enjoy your year off. Have fun.

-RotD

Archived