Premed 101 Forums

professional clothing

Guest d00b

Well I was lucky enough to be pulled off the waiting list last week. Good news by phone is great!!!

Anyways, I was reading the break down of the costs/year on medicine's web site to see how bad the bank is going to be hit and was just wondering about the $1000 allotted for professional clothing. Are students expected to come to school in shirt and tie everyday? or just for clinical experiences or something else? Is $1000 a good estimate?

Thanks for any response.

Guest ilikeblue

Hey congrats on getting in! Ya I noticed that $1000 clothing thing too....guess my $10 old navy shirts won't cut it anymore *sigh*...time to do some shopping I suppose:)

Guest rainie

From what I know, I think in first year you only need formal clothing once a week. I think I'm going to wait until the year starts before I go on a spree...

Congrats on your acceptance d00b. Would you mind sharing your stats for the sake of a friend of mine on the list still?

Thanks

first off, congrats on getting in!

wow, i didn't even know that there was a budget of $1000 for "professional clothing". All you really need is something semi-formal, like dress shirt/pants for males or dress shirts/pants/skirts for females, plus you'll be usually wearing your lab coat over it too so don't worry too much about that inflated budget. so don't go on any sprees, unless you want to haha

i definitely did not spend that much money on clothing and do not intend to! ;)

Guest kosmo14

yeah don't worry about that budget. There seems to be a progression in med school. In first year once a week you do clinical skills and everyone gets all fancied up. In second year you start all fancy by the end of the year about half the class is wearing casual. In clerkship 90% of the class is slumming it up. I have even seen people wear jeans on a daily basis.

Thanks very much for all your comments!

Along the same budget lines, I was just curious about your thoughts on computers. Do any of you think a laptop is beneficial or just a waste of needed money?

Oh...Rainie, my composite score was 86.8.

Guest kosmo14

laptop, nice to have but pretty much useless for medschool. If you were thinking of buying a computer anyway, then a laptop is the way to go, but if you are going to buy just for med school its not worth it. You will have plenty of expenses as you go. I would buy a good palm/pocket pc if you already have a desktop at home and don't need a new computer.

Archived