Premed 101 Forums

longer careers

Guest anatomist

Guest anatomist

Hi,

I know they're talking about scrapping mandatory retirement at age 65 (at least in Ontario), but are there any of these specialties (I'm particularly interested in AP/CP) that typically practise beyond age 65 anyway, either due to shortage of qualified individuals or otherwise?

I'm hoping to apply to meds in a couple of years, and am considering career lifespan issues. Although a 20 year career is still not bad, it would be nice to extend it if possible.

Guest UWOMED2005

I worked with an anaesthetist who was still practicing (spinal anaesthesia) at 84. I heard rumours of a surgeon who was still doing walk-in clinics at 91! Mandatory retirement hasn't usually been an issue for docs. . . more-so docs who have to work past 65 because they spent all their earnings while working and forgot they don't have a pension!

Guest marbledust

I shadowed a psychiatrist last year who is still practicing, on a limited schedule, at 83--with no plans of retiring any time soon.

Guest anatomist

That's great, thanks for the posts.

It's good to know that starting late in the game won't necessarily shorten my career..

And I thought I had heard something about pathologists getting pensions as part of their salary package, partially because their billings were less?

Not sure on the last bit, I think it was posted before the board blew up.

Anyway, thanks again!

Kevin

• 11 months later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just came across this post and, it seems, at Vancouver General at least, there is a mandatory retirement age--65. There are a few docs who I know there who retired within the past few years who hit 65 and had to leave VGH.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived