Premed 101 Forums

24/25 for extra currics? WOW!

Guest physiology

Guest not rex morgan

You're exactly right Tea. It's very competitive and you have to sell yourself. Not a time to be humble. If you really have problems with the total lack of humility, play off of your defensive side. Without sounding angry, pretend you are arguing your case of why you should get in. Trust me, it's not that hard after you've been rejected.

Guest soapyslicer

Hi physiology,

Thanks for the comments. The 10 yr rule will come into effect for me this year. I will be able to remove my first year which was actually one of my good ones. However as I have well over 200credits the removal will have significant effect on my overall GPA. Basically my really good marks during graduate studies will not be as diluted. The problem for some is that part of the rule is that you must have taken a course above the removed courses if they are a pre-req. For me it is OK as my undergrad was in Sciences. I have to admit I am really glad I don't have to redo first year physics. So basically I get to drop 30 credits. The best part is my last 60 credits will rise to above 90%. It will help get me a several more marks in the /50 scale and it should be just enough to put me in the middle of the pile of interviewed applicants instead of being at the bottom. Of course in the application process nothing is a sure thing.....

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there guys,

Just as an addendum, I've been thinking about my application for this coming cycle and with respect to UBC, it sounds like they have plans to overhaul the assessment of applications. Originally it sounded like it would affect the non-academic portion of the application, but it could conceivably alter the academic assessment too. Just food for thought.

Also, I was taking a look at my evaluation scores over the years at UBC. Interestingly, although both, my last 60 credits and GPA moved up by ~3% each over the span of two application cycles, my academic score didn't change. Also, over the span of the first two application cycles within which I applied, the score did change fairly drastically, although the relationship between the change in score and change in grades is not identical to that of the last two years' cycles. (Not that I'd expect it to be given that the academic scales supposedly vary from year to year; as to how this variance is selected, I'm not sure.) So yes, even if your marks change it's not a sure thing that your score will; although, hopefully that won't be the case soapyslicer! :) (By the way, I've wondered about your screen name--how did it come about?)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest me maniac

tea,

I actually stated that I had been diagnosed with carcinoma as part of my special consideration letter. I also stated that I had 2 kids and worked nights while doing my undergrad. I WAS STILL NOT GIVEN SPECIAL CONSIDERATION!

I think you have to give them your first born to get special consideration.

me

whoa...... now i really really don't know what would've gotten an approval for special consideration.

hm.... maybe ... they don't know that carcinoma = cancer. Have you tried a simple word? Maybe the evaluator is a nonmedical member?

now i'm really clueless. take care....

urrgh... nasty weather in vancouver. gloomy and rainy :\

tea

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

My name comes from 2 sources. The first is that I make chemical and preservative free soap and body products. The second is in reference to my Masters which was Gross Anatomy in nature. I basically have spent the last 2 years slicing material(tissues).

soapy

Maniac,

I think you didn't get SC because you scored so high. I was told by Frinton that it is given to people that requested it and scored in the area of 31-32/50. As they would not be given an interview unless their files where given SC. However, SC will only get them an interview. It supposedly does not get them any special consideration after that point. They have to score very high on the interview to be in the top 140ish who will be eventually selected.

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

With respect to application and non-academics for this year, I recently learned a neat bit of trivia. One of the categories within which applicants were assessed was high level of achievement in an endeavour; well, apparently only 5 people out of the entire applicant pool scored a 4/5 and only 3 scored a 5/5. Wow! Well done, those top three!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest taos77

I didn't apply to UBC this year but I am curious--how do they come up with the score for academics? Is it just a simple conversion to a score out of 25 or 12.5 or is there more to it? Just wondering....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The academic score is apparently based on the last 60 credits and overall GPA. UBC supposedly uses a range system where each range sector has a particular score and depending on where your averages fall, you receive the appropriate range score.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived