Premed 101 Forums

Extra year? #5?

Guest SyncMaster

Guest SyncMaster

How does UBC look at students who enter an extra year of studies in addition to the regular 4? I know a girl who took a 5th year after she completed her undergrad in order to boost her overall GPA, and she is now in dentistry...

I've read that some schools ignore years that aren't "directed towards a degree completion"

Any ideas?

TIA!!!

• 7 months later...
Guest UBClebronjames

Just wanted to get some feedback to a similar question.

Is there any difference, academically (in calculating the GPA totals) or in the eyes of the admissions committee when comparing: a 5th year unclassified student vs. a 5th year undergraduate student.

I am set to graduate this year, but I had some input from a couple friends that said to remain an undergrad until I get accepted. I can see their reasoning because the admissions team could ask themselves why is he coming back for a 5th year as an unclassified.. what is his goal? I guess for me it would be mainly for pure interest and to take some classes that I couldn't fit into my 4 previous years.

What would you all choose to do ... and why?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :o

I have the same question posted in the General Premed Discussion under Any Advice? But I know for sure that for unclassified students, UBC says that students applying under the status of unclassified students so to improve their marks are unlikely to be accepted.

EMHC

i took a year of unclassified studies at UBC to fulfill some the prereq for another program. When i applied this year... my impression is that... it doesn't matter. It's the overall GPA and LAST 60 credits that matter. Of course i could be wrong.

tea

Archived