Premed 101 Forums

Is there a "white-coat ceremony" at UBC?

Guest Pucca81

Guest Pucca81

Dear current medical students:

Some medical schools in North America have white coat ceremonies in the beginning of the year and I am wondering if UBC has one too? ;)

Guest Ian Wong

Nope. You can either go and buy yourself a white coat at the bookstore, or head down to the VGH complex and pick one up from the Uniform/Laundry guys. The WCC seems to be quite common in the US, but pretty hit and miss in Canada. In either event, we don't have one, and to be honest, med school orientation drags on long enough as it is. :)

Ian

Guest monkey

there was this talk in the history of meds conference over the last weekend...about white coats history in the medical profession. very interesting...but nonetheless, it was sort of identified that UWO and UA are the only 2 schoosl to still keep the trend of white coat ceremony alive WITHIN CANADA. tons still do it in the states...not sure about their names...

Guest medicator007

Hey Monkey,

Just for the sake of completeness... we at McGill have a white coat ceremony in our second year as we switch from basic science to pre-clerkship.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest not rex morgan

We have to buy our coats here at UBC, but I did hear a rumor that at graduation, there is a ceremony in which the students burn their short coats. Sounds much more interesting than a stuffy white coat ceremony

Guest medicator007

Not rex morgan,

Are you serious about the burning of the short coats? Is this come kind of ceremonial coat burning and if so are there any chants?

Would love more info into starting one these at McGill :rollin

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest Cramguy

Just to add to what has already been said, there isn't a white coat ceremony.......nonetheless, orientation at UBC is "interesting" and "memorable". :P

Cramguy

UBC Med 1

Guest not rex morgan

I don't know much about the burning ceremony. In fact, I can't even confirm it exists. It was mentioned in passing by one of the guys in our orientation. I don't think there's much to it, and I'm pretty sure the faculty is not involved. It does sound rather cathardic.

Archived