Premed 101 Forums

freedom of information act

Guest UBClebronjames

Guest UBClebronjames

what's the deal with seeing your reference letters here at UBC, and other uni's around canada?

i was under the assumption that everything can be made available under the freedon of info act that was implemented in canada in the early 90's. What have past applicants experiences been concerning this issue?

Guest peachy

I could easily be remembering wrong ... but don't most reference letter forms have a box where you can waive your right to see your references?

NSERC PGS references are definitely available to the applicant - I have a friend who got hers to read several months after the applications were complete.

Guest not rex morgan

You have access to everything in your file EXCEPT reference letters...presumably to protect the privacy of the referees. If you really want to see them, you could try asking your referee.

Guest BCgirl

I thought that the ubc reference letter form said something on it informing the referee that the applicant can access the letter thru the freedom of information act... it was a while ago so I could be wrong.

Guest soapyslicer

Hi,

I applied for my application last year through the freedom of information act. When I got it, there were no reference letters. I asked and was told that they are not available. It was not a big deal for me as I knew what they said. I think however, anyone who is not sure their choices for references are going to be to notch then don't use them. If unsure ask your referee if they would give you a postivie reference. They know what is at stake. Another idea is to have your file complete before you ask them. That way you can give them your application...many of mine were amazed at the diversity of the activities I was involved in outside of school. It can only put you in a more positive light and they appreaciate being able to have details infront of them as they write your letter. It is alot of work to write and excellent letter and you want to give them every advantage possible.

soapy

Archived