Premed 101 Forums

Consideration of Graduate Students

Guest Jazzey

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

I'm planning to begin a 2 year Master's program this year, and am interested in applying to UBC. I am an OOP applicant. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I will considered - will my undergrad GPA and MCAT alone determine if I will get an interview? My undergrad GPA is solid, but not stellar, and if it is the main determinant of whether I get an interview, I am not sure if it is logical to apply. If this is the case, does anyone know what sort of GPA OOP applicants have generally needed to get an interview?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Jazzey,

I'm not sure if this is partly what you were asking, but given that it does not sound like you have any graduate courses completed yet, your GPA score would be based solely on undergraduate courses. If you had completed some graduate courses, then those would be included in the GPA calculation.

All applicants (whether in- or out-of-province) are invited for interviews based on a composite score. This score is comprised of 50% non-academic activities and 50% academic performance. Additionally, typically, to be invited for an interview at UBC as an out-of-province applicant, you need a composite score out of 50 that is higher than that of a BC applicant. So although GPA is important, non-academics are equally as important at this stage in UBC's evaluation process. (You might want to check some of the older threads in this area for some more information, although bear in mind that this relates to previous years' admissions processes.) As to how these composite score interview cut-offs are determined, it has apparently been based on the median scores of the applicant pools, so these scores may change from year to year.

Keep in mind though, that UBC are pretty proactive and seem to tweak their admissions process fairly often, so this may change slightly this year. (This may also be impacted by the fact that the enrolment number will be higher this year, and other smaller factors that are different in this year's admissions cycle.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

If you apply as a grad student, you must be finished your masters during that year you apply. I've heard of people in the past getting in on conditional acceptances, only then to have to reject or be kicked out because their masters degree was not completed.

Unlike other med schools (Queens for example), you cannot leave your grad work hanging and incompleted before you get into med at UBC.

If you live in BC for 2 years, aren't you considered in-province?

Archived