Premed 101 Forums

Non-Academic Experiences: Length

Guest summerfuntimes

Guest summerfuntimes

Hi everyone,

It's getting close to October 1st...

I was just wondering - are most peoples' non-academic experiences section full to the limit? I just wonder if we should fill it all up with every little detail, or keep it more 'to-the-point' and use highlights of what we've done and not necessarily use up the full 3 pages.

Any ideas would be great.

Good luck everyone!

Guest soapyslicer

Hi,

I have filled it to the brim, but I have on average 8 items per section so I know that is somewhat unusual. Why wouldn't you fill it? If it means you get to add more detail to area's which may in the end get you more points do you really want to leave stuff out. I am not talking about junk that doesn't mean anything but don't you think there are area's where you could add detail about your activites that will help the evaluators think you wonderful;)

Just my two cents worth!

soapy

Guest monksters

Hi There summerfuntimes,

I definately filled mine to the brim too. I have heard that UBC assigns points to each of your activities. And the sum of those points determine the score out of 25 for your non-academic section. I know they have changed the application a fair bit since last year but I would milk your activities for all they are worth so that they see exactly how involved you were in your various activities.

For example I was the president of a student mentorship club but was also involved in the many committees within that club so I put every component as a separate point.

I know some it seems silly. It seems silly to me as well but it is how the admission process works.

Good luck with your application and drop another line if you have any more questions

Adios

Guest not rex morgan

Not that quality doesn't count, it does, but quantity DEFINITELY counts. Fill it up. I don't know if I'd put that I played the recorder in grade 6 to fill it up, but I defintely would use the space to chalk up as many points as possible.

Same goes with the references. You want someone who will fill the space. Keep that in mind when you're asked to provide references. I guess you have a little bit more time to think about that this year. One of the years I didn't get in, they told me that one of my references cost me points. This person raved about me, but didn't say much, and they really wanted expansion on some of the points of praise.

Guest McCarey007

Keep in mind you don't want to look "too" desparate. The interviewing panel will have your non-academic experiences to read beforehand. I feel that if you put every little detail, you may be looked up negatively during the all important interview. (i'm talking about things like, travelled to Kelowna for a weekend or travelled to Las Vegas...not the most impressive)

Archived