Premed 101 Forums

How to convert my GPA for med school purposes?

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

Hi, I am just wondering what is a 3.69? is it a B+ or A? or what percent range... no one is appearantly able to answer this question at the med school admissions offices i called ( icalled about 8 of them across canada)

Can anyone help?

Guest leviathan

GPAs are weighted averages of your letter grades, so you can't just convert it back. That said, a 3.69 would be approximately a B+/A- average, because an A- is assigned a 3.7 grade...

Guest avenir001

Hey toothy,

There are different GPA systems and conversion scales, but I'm from UBC and here 80% is an A-, which translates into OMSAS 3.70...so I guess 3.69 would be just below an A- (ie B+).

Guest TheShrink

Really? So we convert each of our marks into the GPA scale on the chart and then add them all and divide by our total courses ( 4.oo x # courses) to find our gpa for med school?

Guest uwkin

yep, thats exactly it.

So for example:

87 = 3.9

82 = 3.7

77 = 3.3

92 = 4.0

74 = 3.0

3.9+3.7+3.3+4.0+3.0 = 17.9

17.9/5 courses = 3.58

That was the correct way. The incorrect (although often more comforting) way is to find the percentage average and then convert like so

The average for those marks is 82.4, and when converted it comes out to 3.7 (80-84 range)

3.7 seems much better than 3.58, but sadly its not correct.

You can see how this method ensures that those with a solid GPA have done well in most or all of their course, so they are well balanced.

Guest The Law

I think the above example was for 5 1.0 courses... if you have half courses (0.5 credits) they're counted once. Each 1.0 credit course is counted two times. This is then divided by 10.

I think that's right.

Guest whocares123

Yea that looks about right.

THe GPA system is similar to the MCAT system in that regard - scaled to be able to differentiate between the best of the best.

On the GPA system, one very low mark in a course can sink the GPA.

Archived