Premed 101 Forums

Backup plan

Guest Tyler

Guest Tyler

Since i've been rejected i move on to my backup plan. I was accepted into the PDP (teachers college) at Uvic and im thinking of doing that for the year so I at least have a career and can support my wife and maybe soon babies.

Do you think that going into a career that is unrelated to health care would be a handicap for me since i will be reapplying next year (however long it takes)?

I've thought about my Masters but then i can't apply next year because its two years and i need to have completed it. I''ve thought about research but it doesn't interest me at all. Doing another bachelours might be fine but where will that land me.

Ive done the living overseas thing for two and a half years (two in Japan, half in Mexico), where ive assisted in surgeries and helped deliver babies and all that stuff so im not sure about doing that again (though it was an amazing time).

What are your thoughts, what are the rejected doing?

Tyler

Guest Kels2004

Hi Tyler - Sorry to hear you were not accepted this year. Two years ago I was in a similar situation, so I found a job that would advance my back-up career in England in case meds did not work out. It was the right choice for me, but of course everyone is different!

I doubt PDP would "handicap" you, as I am sure the committee appreciates that people have to have a back up plan - as long as you can explain your path to meds to them, I think (in my opinion), that should be fine.

I encourage you to keep at it - it took me several cycles to get accepted! Good luck

Kelsey

Guest TKP 123

Hey there,

I got rejected couple times also. I got a BSc several yrs ago and kept retrying, while doing research in these years to help support myself and family financially. It wasn't that bad for me as I kinda like research. However, I also keep volunteering. So, definitely try again next year.

Guest not rex morgan

You know, medicine and teaching aren't entirely discordant careers. They are both professions, and they require certain interpersonal skill sets/personality traits, including patience, critical thought, intuition, intelligence and confidence. In addition, if you're doing it right, your time as a doctor often spent educating your patients. If you take a hippocratic oath, you pledge to teach new docs as well. If you want to prepare yourself for those responsibilities, you're doing yourself a service by getting a PDP. I also thought it would be worth mentioning that I've met a few docs who have gone on to pursue masters degrees in education, as they work at academic centers, and they wanted to learn more about the "teaching" part of their responsibilities at an academic center. Also interesting to note, off the top of my head, I can think of two people who taught before becoming med students from my class alone.

Guest Procuitto

Go for it Tyler! If you don't dig research, don't do it! It's very time consuming and if you don't like you won't get the publications and productivity that you will need to prove that you can do it! Totally go for the PDP if could see yourself doing that. Also, before you jump the gun and do that, I say go to that feedback session and if that's not helpful, request a one-on-one...that's what I'm doing!

Good luck - I hear your pain. I just finished my masters and still got rejected and my only consolation was that I had fun doing it. This is my second rejection....!!!!

Proscuitto

I think that the very fact that you have a passion for both makes them related.

If I can take the liberty in saying it, I imagine that the motivations and qualities that drive you to teaching are the same that drive you to medicine. As long as you can articulate that in your next application, it's my opinion that going into the PDP will be a good thing.

You're right in saying that that teaching's not health care but teachers and doctors are much more similar than doctors and CEOs of hospitals.

If you want it, go for it.

Guest Tyler

Thank you guys, that's encouraging to hear and gives me some more motivation to continue on. It can be frustrating applying to med because you can't help but think about every thing you do and how it helps your application and you sometimes forget what you want to do.

Tyler

Guest me maniac

Tyler,

I know it is frustrating and disappointing. I have been there myself. As a current med school student, I can honestly tell you that teaching will NOT hold you back. In fact there are two teachers in my class right now.

What WILL hold you back is not doing anything. If you choose to apply again (and if I were you, I definitely would as I have known people who applied 3 or 4 times before getting in), what will hold your application back is not being able to tell them how you filled your time, energy and motivation to learn. THAT is what matters most, not what you did.

Do what you want. Do what you enjoy. Do something that will get you a JOB and pay the bills, even if med doens't work out. Don't do it because it will look good on your app. By doing something you enjoy, it will reflect on you in your interview, and that can only help you.

me

Guest MMRU

Hi Tyler,

I completely agree with me maniac.

In fact I was in your position awhile back...

when I applied for med for the first time and didn't get in, I wondered if medicine was really for me. Although I've never thought of being a highschool teacher myself, I thought I would give it a try to see if I would enjoy that experience since I enjoy working with people.

UBC has an excellent teaching program. My confidence, leadership skill and public speaking ability improved tremendously throughout that year of training. To top it off, a few of my courses were PBL based. During my interview this year, I used that as an example to show the panel that I work well in a team and could excel in medical school.

I just found out that I got into med at UBC this year so going through a teaching program could be a positive experience for you. It all comes down to what you want to do in your life. May be you want to take this opportunity to explore other options and try to get the most out of this year in between to widen your horizon.

Hope my experience help.

If you need more info or how I used my teaching experience to enhance my interview performance, just let me know.

Guest Tyler

Thats really encouraging, you have all been, and Im more excited to be spending this year doing teaching.

I don't know how to private MMRU but I would love to hear some more about how you used your experience in your interview - Ill try to figure out how to private it.

Tyler

Guest undenied1234

Just out of curiosity, how would UBC education courses factor into the calculation of one's GPA when applying to medicine in UBC or in other provinces. UBC education courses are pass/fail only & you only get credits for them. How would that factor into calculating the last 60 credits for UBC or the the Best or last 2 years of courses when applying to other provincial med schools?

Guest MMRU

Hey undenied,

From my experience with UBC (in previous year's feedback session), the admission committee seemed to have ignored my pass/fail credits and only picked the ones that have a numerical percentage mark. Someone on this forum might know this better than I do so feel free to comment on that.

M.

Guest Tyler

This is the reply I got last year when I asked them:

"For institutions that mark on a pass/fail system, we do not use the 'Pass' grades but we will use the 'Fail' grades in our calculations. If you are wanting to increase your GPA, a pass/fail system would not be beneficial.

Regards,

Faculty of Medicine, Admissions"

I know that SFU PDP program also uses a large amount of Pass/Fail's for their classes. Uvic on the other hand uses a grading system for almost all of their courses except for a few so when you take their program you end up getting about a 10 course grade load, so next year ill be going to Uvic so i can get a job and also improve my Gpa as an added bonus - like killing two birds with one stone.

Hope that helps,

Tyler

Guest MMRU

Thanks Tyler.

It's good to know how UBC admissions calculate our GPA.

BTW, I tried to private you but not sure if it works so please check your inbox (the top right link on the list of topic page).

Archived