Premed 101 Forums

any other MD/PhD?

Guest juan

Guest MDPhD

From the statistics in the past, UBC only takes 1 or at most 2 MD/PhD students every year.

I don't know if i should keep my hope alive as a MD/PhD candidate.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

May as well keep the flame burning, because as far as I know, the MD/PhD dept. would like to bring as many capable students on as funding will allow. Although, akin to you guys, it's been all quiet on this eastern front.

Cheers and best of luck,

Kirsteen

I haven't heard anything either. While it's true that they would like to admit as many exceptional students as their funding allows, I was under the impression that they did not have a lot of available funding. Well, at least that's the impression that I got from Dr. Chow.

Hey, judging from the number of posts regarding the MD/PhD program, it seems like they interviewed lots of MD/PhD applicants this year (assuming that people don't post under different names).

Guest not rex morgan

They interviewed 11. They are aiming at accepting 5 this year. I'm assuming that's what their funding allows. Tuition is not going up for md/phd.

Anyone here dare to call the MD/PhD office to see if all the offers have been made? I am too chicken to call, but I think only one of us needs to make the phone call and then post whatever info he/she receives here.

did anybody dig up the courage to call?

i haven't, and i am scared. surely, there must be more than the one acceptance that that other person to md.phd.

anybody? Kirsteen?

Guest Ian Wong

I talked to one of my MD/PhD buddies. Apparently there is full funding for 5 positions only at this time. There is some question as to whether partial funding may be appropriate for others, but I think the only thing that seems somewhat concrete at this time is 5 seats.

It's a real shame, because from what I hear, this year we've had so many exceptional candidates, and UBC's MD/PhD program could really use the boost in numbers.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

Juan, it's tempting to call, but honestly, I don't have the chutzpah required for the job. This stems from having doubts that the MD/PhD office would be willing to release any sort of sensitive info such as this type of stuff, so close to D-Day; the fact that D-Day IS so close (so we should hear, one way or another shortly); and also that I'm currently up to the eyes with ample, demanding fun such as exam prep, job changes, interviews, arrangements for Plan Bs, etc.

Thanks not rex morgan and Ian for the insider updates. They help alleviate some tensions.

Cheers and good luck everyone,

Kirsteen

Guest Just MD Applicant

I just want to say best wishes and good luck to all you MD/PhD applicants out there! The waiting is long and very nerve racking. I'm waiting for my MD news here as well, but probably won't hear until mid-May. In the mean time, keep your chin up and hope for the best!

Guest not rex morgan

Hello all you md/phd applicants. I gave the md/phd office a call today b/c everyone seemed rather frightened. They have only accepted one person so far. The other four acceptances are pending the ok from the md people. The one acceptance they sent out was to an "acceptional" applicant (congrats to big bits).

Here is a thought some friends and I were talking about the other day, and I wanted your thoughts. Since the program is so long, do a lot of MD/PhD students drop out? What happens to them? Do they just do the MD degree? One of my friends got waitlisted at McGill MD/PhD, and he was wondering about this. Do any of the moderators know?

Thanks,

Juan

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there juan,

When scoping out MD/PhD programs I went out to meet with the UBC folks and asked something similar. The Director mentioned that, in the UBC MD/PhD program, no student has ever dropped out or switched to the MD-only program, and that this was partially attributed to the rigorous and careful selection process for the program.

As to career routes for MD/PhD-ers it seems that, currently many seem to have opted either for a full-time clinical specialty (neurology seems to be a hot one) or full-time research. That is, although the ideal is to train MD/PhD-ers to be equally dual-practicing, few seem to do this. This may change in the future though, depending on the potentially changing environment for MD/PhD graduates, and whether factors such as protected research time, etc., are given further consideration.

An interesting counterpoint though, just as an addition: I recently met with a prominent and active surgeon at one of the big centres here in Toronto and we were chatting about the underpinnings of MD/PhD programs. His point of view is that some MD/PhD program directors are having problems encouraging the above, i.e., producing dually-practicing MD/PhD-ers. He felt that, in essence, with respect to medicine, you have to choose one area of specialty: clinical practice or research. He would rather see someone choose one and become expertly proficient in it, than select both and become unavoidably mediocre in each. This is not to say that if you are a surgeon you should not do research--no, he maintained that research is important for progress, but if surgery is the supercedent, you should first be an excellent surgeon and then do research as a complement. Interesting spin, eh?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

hi kirsteen do you know how long it takes to complete the MD/Phd program? I'm thinking about it because I found my summers in research to be really interesting. I think it would be a nice dual degree. Any advice or infor that you have discovered from your exploration of the program would be appreciated.

CH

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there CH,

The time course for an MD/PhD can vary. The MD-program portion is constant--it's still four years--but the PhD portion is a bit of a variable. However, as I was told, that's partially why the MD/PhD office at UBC is there--to make sure that everyone (and their respective supervisors) are on track.

As to the reality of it, I know it's possible to finish both up in seven years--I was told, during my interview that one current participant managed to finish all his PhD work in three years.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hey guys,

To all of you who applied to the MD/PhD program this year, how did you do? Are you now a proud participant of the MD/PhD program, or perhaps the MD program? Let's hear it?!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bigbits99

Hello Kirsteen,

I was wondering the same thing. Based on the lack of postings, I am thinking that I may be the only one... obviously though this board is not exhaustive. What has happened with your precarious situation, Kirsteen? What have both offices said concerning you? Good luck, and to the other people too.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there bigbits99,

Congratulations again! On my "precarious" situation, I found out today that I'm definitely not in, i.e., MD/PhD is not a go and I'm on to the Plan B this September. Bit of a bummer regarding not being able to offically start the career this August, but no matter, onwards and upwards! As I've been counseled, it's time to start spraying my application all over the place! Seems a bit indiscriminate, but hey, I need to get a wee foot in the door somewhere and I'll be absolutely thrilled no matter where I end up in this fair nation.

Cheers, and hope you have a fabulous, initial year. Good luck with your research,

Kirsteen

Guest BCgirl

Hey Kirsteen,

I'm really sorry to hear about that! That really does seem to go against what they have on their website wrt MD/PhD.

Best of luck!

Archived