Premed 101 Forums

selection process

Guest spool

Guest spool

so does anyone have any idea what happens now after the interviews? do all the interviewers sit down and discuss? or do they just rate your interview performance and send in an evaluation form? this selection process seems like such a mystery to me!

There is one thing that you can do.

pray

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

First, I'd like to mention that I think UBC does a great job of informing applicants re: the selection process, stats, feedback, etc. I think it would be handy if more medical schools followed suit and allowed a wee bit more transparency.

So back to the selection process... I actually asked the Admissions Office a similar question recently and they mentioned the following: all of the interviews are expected to be wrapped up by the end of March. During this time, the interview scores are compiled from the interviews (which they were in the process of doing last week) along with the scores from other sections of the application, and a summary sheet for each applicant is generated. The summary sheets are reviewed by the Admissions Committee when they meet to discuss and select applicants.

Regarding the Admission Committee meeting, apparently, the selection of candidates involves some sort of a voting process, although how that works, I'm not sure. I was told that, although it sounds more subjective, no additional, holistic score is factored in to the whole evaluation by the Admissions Committee. This voting process is somehow used in conjunction with the ranking of scores for all components of the file, again, with the interview being the heaviest weight of 50%.

Anyone have anything to add?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

I know that your interviewers are sent to the committee to present you. Some interviewers actually ask what info you want presented to the committee on your behalf. As for the rest of the process, you ask four different interviewers, you get four different stories. Somehow they compile everything at this point, meet, and decide on who gets in. I'm half convinced that at this time in the admissions process they are buying out all the dice from the local dollar stores for those sitting at the cusp. :b

Archived