Premed 101 Forums

UBC tuition

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hello UBC-ers,

For those of you currently in touch with the financial plans of UBC's undergraduate medical program, has there been any word recently of what lies in the future re: fees, specifically, any word re: increases? A wee while back, I think someone had mentioned that the fees were expected to remain static for at least a short while, but may also be expected to increase in tandem with the de-regulation and subsequent increases so popular out here in the east.

Related to this, with respect to the UBC medical school and university politics, are the current Deans and Presidents expected to be in situ for a while?

Cheers for your insights,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

UBC tuition will almost undoubtably go up either this year or next. Most people in my class are expecting a tuition increase for Sept. 2002, and are planning accordingly. Then if it doesn't happen, we'll all be happy! :) However, I would not enter UBC med school with any expectations of paying the same $4000 annual tuition that it has been for the past 7 years or so. The final tuition increase is unknown at this point, as there hasn't been any official announcements.

The UBC med Dean, Dr. John Cairns, is leaving this year, and a new Dean is being sought. I don't know about the UBC president; but then again, I'm pretty ignorant of UBC's internal workings outside of the medical school.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 2 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

The tuition schedule for Sept. 2002 has been released, and can be viewed online. The future looks pretty grim for UBC students, with a target tuition of $14,000 to be attained in three years time, which I assume will therefore start with the class beginning in Sept. 2005. The tuition will be slightly greater for incoming first year med students compared with those returning as second, third, or fourth year students. This fall, incoming students will pay $6545, while the returning students will pay $5610. MD/PhD students will continue to pay a low tuition of roughly $3300 annually.

See the Board of Governors approved policy here:

students.ubc.ca/finance/fees/tuitionpolicy.cfm?page=feeschedule

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> 2001/02 Current Fees, Projected Target Fees, 2002/03 Fees<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

Dentistry (incoming) 3,740 14,000 6,545

Dentistry (continuing) 3,740 14,000 5,610

Medicine (incoming) 3,740 14,000 6,545

Medicine (continuing) 3,740 14,000 5,610

MD/PHD 3,189 3,348 3,348

I think it's going to be a pretty crummy ride for many students. Undoubtedly, we're going to see higher debt-loads for UBC grads (to current Ontario levels), and I suspect many of the long-term sequelae: a progressive avoidance of lower-paying primary care specialties, and perhaps increased migration to the US, where wages are higher and taxes are lower. This will be an interesting time.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived