Premed 101 Forums

Withdrawn Courses?

Guest lizard11

Guest lizard11

Hey guys, so I just completed my first year at UofT. I took political science/history courses – but I only took 4 courses. Anyway, I may have failed one, and did quite poorly (i.e. – 50s and 60s) on the others. But since I’m converting to sciences next year (and taking five 1st year science courses), the loss of credits doesn’t really matter.

However, I might have a chance to withdraw from these courses, but it will say so on my transcript, but it won’t show the grades. How do med schools look at this? I know that when you apply, most med schools drop your lowest X courses, but I still want to drop these!

How do med schools look at withdrawn courses? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lizard11

alright, so i just got my marks. My GPA is 2.0 (78, 66, 63, 50 - none of which are science courses) What should i do? I went through a pretty ough year, so should i see if i can withdraw from them, or will that look terrible on an application if i have 4 withdrawn courses? Thanks

Guest muchdutch

I think if you can withdraw from them (without some crazy bribe scheme) then go for it. An interview panel may ask you why you withdrew but that will be fairly easy to explain (or so I assume - you figured out those courses weren't for you/family stress/other extenuating circumstance). In fact, you could probably spin it to your advantage by saying you had to overcome, and highlighting the rest of your stellar achievements after.

Even if you do want to keep them, they will drag you down, but a few good years (which will probably be required anyway in order to get into med) will bring that right back up again.

Archived