Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

From the meds webpage it looks like at least one deferral of entry to meds has been permitted by UBC in the past. However, I can't seem to find any information regarding criteria for allowing it. Some schools will allow deferral in order to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree, but what about UBC? Anyone have any clue?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

I know for sure that UBC has no problem granting a deferral for medical reasons. (eg. pregnancy). I do know of someone getting a deferral to finish a phd. Are you thinking you are going to need a deferral? If you do, I would give them a call or email them. From what I can tell about you, you are not shy about calling them.

As for finishing an undergrad, I have heard in the past that people who enter medicine with their undergrad incomplete, can actually put medicine credits towards their undergrad and complete their degree that way. I'm not sure of the details, but if you're worried about graduating, you might want to inquire about that

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there not rex morgan,

Thanks for your input. The mind has just been mulling over the options in the background while studying for finals. I was interested in finding out the UBC policy so that I can better consider the possible options. Overall, I can only cross any bridge when I come to it, or should I say in this situation, when it comes to me, so, like everyone else, I await the word as to what the future options include for life, late-August.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest confused

Hi Kirsteen,

I am confused? Have you heard anything from UBC yet? I was under the impression that the MD/PhD program was your #1 goal and that you would definitely attend UBC if you were accepted.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there confused,

Nope, like most, I haven't heard anything from UBC as yet.

Obtaining a medical education, including both clinical and research skills IS my number one goal at this point. However, in an attempt to remain realistic and not be unprepared for the worst, in the interim I've been pursuing the alternatives in the event that I am not accepted to an MD/PhD program; accepted to "only" an MD program; or to neither. Overall, I feel that I really need/want to pursue research in order to do what I eventually want to do, and so this past while I've been working on Plan Bs with that goal in mind. Fortunately, I've pulled together one Plan B that is pretty neat, and which I feel will greatly benefit my future career. So if I'm not accepted into the MD/PhD program, I'm wondering how I could incorporate this Plan B into my medical education either in the near or distant future, if it's a possibility at all.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived