Premed 101 Forums

UBC invite

Guest 2ndTimesACharm

Congrats 2ndTime! Good luck! :)

I was just curious about where your interviews are. Are they on campus? Mine are at UBC at Robson Square... I kinda wish they were on campus since I haven't seen UBC before.

Good luck!! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hellodio,

Re: interview locations, with respect to my MD-related interviews, one is on campus and the other is at the College of Physicians and Surgeons. BCgirl, why don't you take a wee trip out to the campus, post-interviews? By the way, congratulations!! I didn't see you posting anywhere else that you'd finally received an invite--well done. Have you received any others, e.g., the much-awaited Dal?

On a different note, does anyone know if UBC recruits a large pool of interviewers to conduct the MD interviews?. It seems that they may have a sizeable number given the diversity of names and interview locations suggested over the past couple of application cycles.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen. Thanks and good luck to you too! :D Your interviews are at the end of February, right?

I think I'll be leaving Halifax on the 7th (my interviews are the 9th and 10th) just to make sure I get there with lots of time in case there's bad weather here or something. That way, I can make it to a talk on the curriculum on the evening of the 7th (I think that's when there is one) and then I'll have all day Friday to rest up and visit with friends... I think I'll probably try to get out to UBC that day and take a look around. My interview info didn't mention any tours or anything... does anyone know if it's difficult to get a tour or could I just wander around by myself?

UBC is actually the only school that I've applied to right now. I'm in my third year, and UBC is by far my top choice (I want to go home :) ), so I decided to apply to only UBC this year to give it a shot to see if I can get in. You need a degree to apply to Dal, so when I apply next year (hopefully I won't have to, but I'm preparing for the worst) then I'll apply to a bunch of schools (Dal, UBC, the Alberta schools, and ones in Ontario). Since UBC is my top choice (despite all the troubles in the province right now :( ), I want to be able to try twice before going somewhere else.

Does anyone know (or can tell me where to find) how many people UBC usually interviews?

Thanks!

Good luck everyone!! :)

Guest Ian Wong

I believe the out-of-provincers are all being interviewed downtown in the same time span, sort of an "interviewee's week".

Usually, UBC interviews roughly some 2.5 applicants for each one that they accept, so with an entering class of 128, you could perhaps expect 270-300 interviewees.

I don't know if there are any tours (the current Med 1 class is taking care of meet n' greet, and I don't know many of them), but there should be a Wine and Cheese event for interviewees to meet current UBC med students. I'm not sure when that date is, nor do I know if I'm even invited (last year it was just the Med 1 class that held that event, due to lack of space).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Kirsteen

Hey BCgirl,

A UBC meds tour would be a great idea. I won't be able to head back out to the wine n' cheese, but perhaps they can arrange a tour then for you guys, since there may be a whole lot of 2006-class-to-be folk there.

As to UBC stats, I believe that interview numbers/accepted applicants is on the UBC site. In fact, the stats that they offer within the site are some of the most extensive that I've seen for any school north of the 49th parallel. I would have thought the resourceful you would have scouted these pages out already, but in case not, do give them a peek.

Cheers and best of luck again, and hope to see you in class in Sept!

Kirsteen

Thanks for the info, Ian. Kirsteen, I have looked at those stats and I checked quickly before posting, but I couldn't seem to find the number of interviewees (but I might have missed it since I only quickly scanned it -- I thought I had seen something about the number they interview somewhere).

Does anyone know how important the curriculum/orientation talk is that they have on Thurs Mar. 7 and Mar 11 from 5-7 is? It looks like I won't be able to arrange my flight so that I can go to the one on Thurs, and I don't know if I want to miss an extra day of school just to be able to go. So, from past experiences, does anyone know if it would be worth it? I might be able to leave on Wed instead of Thurs... and I would only be missing 2 more classes... any advice?

Ian, my interview info that they had attached to the email mentions a student information night on the 8th. It says that there will be presentations by current med students from each year. Is that the wine and cheese or something different?

Thanks! :)

Guest Jase133

The curriculum talk was pretty interesting. It was nice to see what UBC meds students look like and to hear their view on the UBC curriculum.

Also, if this is your first time interviewing @ UBC, you will probably be interviewed by Dr. Bates, in which case you would also be able to see what she looks like before your interview at these infosessions. For some reason I found it comforting to know what my interviewers looked like beforehand - sort of gave me a mental image to picture myself having a fantastic interview.

Best wishes and g'luck BCGirl

Guest Kirsteen

Hey Jase133,

There are exceptions to every rule I guess, but this is my first time around at UBC and one of my interviewers is not Dr. Bates. What's interesting though, is how seemingly well matched my interviewers are to my background (as presented in the extracurricular activities sheets and essay). One of my interviewers-to-be apparently received her degrees in Bordeaux, France (I traveled there last year, and aside from many other jaunts within France, attended school there for a short while--all stated within the application); and another seemed to have held a position in the London School of Economics.

Serendipity, or do you think that some schools go out of their way to match up interviewers with interviewees for a conceivable number of reasons?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

I couldn't find the bio on my interviewers anywhere. Any advice? I tried google search but only found out that one of my interviewers was an opthalmologist but that is all. For the other one...no info at all on the internet.

I don't need much but to have a little info on them would be nice...since they have so much info on me..haha :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi monkey,

I too used a simple google search to find some info. One thing that's great about UBC (most especially the research divisions) is that they do offer comprehensive pages on many of their researchers and their current work. This resource comes in handy when trying to determine the research foci at UBC.

As to the interview process, I just thought it would be interesting, given the number of people to meet with, to learn something of their backgrounds, and in some cases, see who those people would be. Other than that, it doesn't really do too much with respect to help you prepare for the interview!

Cheers, and best of luck,

Kirsteen

I've managed to arrange my schedule so that I can go to the info sessions. It's my first time interviewing, too, but Dr. Bates isn't one of my interviewers.

I'd also like to know a bit about my interviewers... I couldn't find anything on the UBC website or with google... I would at least like to know if they're MDs or PhDs (are some of the interviewers PhDs?) and if possible what type of doctor they are. I'm going to try to look around the UBC website again if I missed anything.

Good luck! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there BCgirl,

Yep, it appears that some of the MD-program-specific interviewers are non-MDs: one of mine seems to have--count 'em--TWO PhDs. Phew that's a lotta research.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

Re Bates, she doesn't do as many interviews as the Deans of Admissions in the past do. I believe that when UBC did three interviews, you got one with whoever was in this position. When they cut it down to two interviews, they mixed Bates in with the rest of them. There are definitely non-mds in the mix. One of my interviewers held an md, and the other held an md and a phd. Both of them did molecular biological work. Coincidence? Who knows how these guys work. As for looking up your interviewers, I understand the desire to do so, but I really wouldn't waste alot of time on it. You're talking about you, not them. If you were to bring up stuff about them, you may come off as a total suck up. Be yourself.

not rex morgan,

I agree with you, but it would at least be nice if they told you if your interviewer is an MD or PhD. I don't want to ask something about medical practice (or whatever -- something you'd ask an MD) and then look like an idiot when my interviewer tells me they have a PhD :)

Archived