Premed 101 Forums

What is Med. School All About?

Guest futurethinker

Guest futurethinker

I am 16 years old and in grade 11. I am considering a career as a family physician because it looks like there is a future for this career.

I have been doing a little research and I came across this forum. With so few people getting in, panel interviews, big tests, and years of schooling this stuff sounds extremely challenging.

If you guys could just give me the low down of this 'med school life' I would really appreciate it, like the good stuff and the not so good stuff.

This is a huge decision and I don't want to regret it.

Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

The Good: You get to be a doctor.

The Bad: You get to be a doctor.

:) I'm not trying to sound facetious, but there's lots of good and bad things about being a doctor.

Bad stuff includes lots of schooling (I expect to have a total of 13 additional years of schooling after high school to become a surgeon), lots of debt on graduation, having to meet and talk with people when they are at their sickest and most stressed, working lots of long hours and being on call, and always needing to deal with hassles from government (there's always healthcare squabbles).

Good stuff includes being able to make a real difference to someone's life, learning practical information that you can use in real life, having virtually guaranteed job security anywhere you are licensed to practice, and making an above-average income no matter which area of medicine you pursue.

You've got a long time before you need to decide anything, so I'd take the time to get some healthcare exposure, follow some doctors around, maybe volunteer at the local hospital, and see how you like it.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived