Premed 101 Forums

Grad student defense deadline

Guest sn0w0wl

Guest sn0w0wl

To all fellow grad student premeds:

How did you guys interpret the form we signed regarding finishing up our grad stuff by July 1? The wording seemed a bit flexible, and I was wondering if anyone clarified it with admissions (Kirsteen?). From what I got, we have to have our thesis to our committee by then, but our defense date can be afterwards. (I didn't bother to check this earlier because I thought I would have heaps of time, but... things happen.)

Thanks,

sn0

Guest soapyslicer

Hi snOwOwl,

Your thesis must be officially handed in, ready for defense. You are correct, at least gpomg by previous years, that you can defend after. Many I know actually never defended until the following summer due to blackouts etc. As well many take a long time to get their final copy(post defense) into the library which is what you must do to actually graduate(at least at UBC). I would email and ask Angela for clarification on the details.

Good luck with it all!!

Soapy

Guest Ollie

Sticking around the lab for a couple of months then taking off for some travelling adventures in Asia. I'll be back in Sept for the 2nd round of Med applications!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Well done Ollie! A bit of me is envious. ;)

On this end, I haven't asked UBC any questions about defending graduate theses as I'm aiming to submit mine by May 31st, and then my supervisor and I are aiming to have it defended by the third week of June. Fingers crossed. At least I have a wee something to keep me occupied during this wait. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Hi,

That's cool Ollie that you are done already.

Anyhow, what form is this you mention? My memory is failing me.

I only have a note reminding me that the thesis must be submitted by July 01.

Only University that I know of that has an actual deadline for defense is UofT (prior to August 01).

Happy writing

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Makunouchi,

In the package that we received at the interview, there was a form that was included for interviewees who were graduate students at the time of interview. It mentioned the July 1 submission date. You had to sign and return it along with your site ranking form. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for the tidbit of information. Strange how I don't have that form... guess I'll have to give them a shout.

Archived