Premed 101 Forums

When will UBC interviews notification come up, anyone?

Guest New guy

If they use the same timeline as last year, people should start hearing about interviews at the start of January and then the process goes on right up to April. I know that applications had to be in earlier this year so they might move up the interview notifications but I doubt they would conduct interviews over the holidays.

Also, if you have your interview in March, don't think that it means your application isn't as strong as those that were interviewed in January. Someone asked that question at the orientation last year and Dr. Bates assured everyone that the time at which you get interviewed is not a reflection on how strong of a candidate you are!!

i have a friend who has credible sources within ubc meds that the earlier your interview at ubc, the higher your marks/extracurriculars/etc ranking is relative to others. now is this true? can someone verify?

cheers

Do any of you know when people that live out of province are interviewed? I'm considered a BC resident, but I am currently living in Nova Scotia. I remember reading that someone thought they interview oop students over a weekend. Does anyone know when that usually is?

Thanks! :)

Good luck and happy waiting...

I just wanted to add: Where do most oop interviewees stay? Just in a hotel or can you get student hosts?

Guest Ian Wong

There are no student hosts, although this was suggested by my class for the current UBC Med 2 class during their interviews. UBC Med felt that there might be liability issues involved with student hosting that might have downstream legal repercussions involving med student safety and privacy information. We live in a lawyerly world. :(

As far as earlier interviews, I was under the impression that early interviews usually meant more favourable initial application numbers (eg. GPA and MCAT scores), based on some conversations I'd had with UBC higher-ups. Dr. Bates has spoken to the contrary. I think the whole question is rather irrelevant given that you can't change your numbers once you've applied. One's time would probably be better spent preparing for an eventual interview, instead of worrying about the date of the actual interview.

Previous UBC stats can be found here, so you can hopefully guage whether your numbers make you a competitive applicant relative to past years.

premed101.com/stats.html

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Hey Jase, thanks for the info. I have a couple more q's.

That's crappy about not interviewing on a weekend, but it's worth it :)

How much notice did you get before your interview? I've heard that sometimes you don't get much notice... but hopefully it's not like that for people that are on the other side of the country :) How many other people interviewed the same day as you? Were they all other oop students (either BC res or non-BC)? There's a guy from my school who is also applying to UBC, but he's a Nova Scotia resident. I was just thinking that it would be cool if they interview all oop students at the same time so I wouldn't be all alone :)

Thanks!

Guest not rex morgan

The impression I got last year was that they did interview all oop residents at the same time. I was interviewed with a big batch of oop as I was out of the country travelling when interviews went on. I was interviewed in March last year, and many oops seemed to be interviewed then. I recieved about a month's notice, which was good as I was overseas when I got the notice. In needed that month to get reaquainted with the country/province when I got back.

i think they all interviewed us about around the same time. heh, no worries - ubc interviews SOOooooooOOOOoooo long away. also, i know of one girl who rearranged her schedule to fit in into her exam schedule... an option you may want to keep in mind. i was just desperate to go back to vancouver so i didn't care i'd miss a week of school.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just received a letter from UBC regarding my (MD/PhD) application. From Dr. Chow, the letter acknowledged receipt of the complete application and noted that file reviews were beginning to take place. Once the file scores have been determined, a short-list of candidates will be selected for interviews which will be held from January to April 2002.

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

Bear in mind that they generally don't give more than two weeks notice and not everybody gets notified in December. Don't despair if you haven't heard anything by Christmas. Apparently last year people were getting notified in March and possibly April. It would, of course, be nice to be notified as early as possible, but don't spiral into depression...please.

Aahh, the wonderful UBC interviews. They let most applicants know about their interviews a week before. There were even some who were phone 1 or 2 days before last year. Just keep on your toes!

Archived