Premed 101 Forums

When are the interviews?

Guest BCgirl

This has been touched on in Jimbo's thread, but I was wondering when UBC conducts most of its interviews. When is the earliest that we should expect to hear from them? How much time is usually between your interview invite and the actual interview (so do you have enough time to buy an outfit after you are invited, or should you buy one just in case)? Also, do they interview suitable applicants at random, or do they interview the strongest applicants first and the weaker ones later? How are the interviews scheduled for BC applicants attending university out of province (so if I get an interview, will I miss any/much school)?

Well, I guess I should stop here with the questions :) If you can answer any or all of the questions, please help.

Thanks!! :rollin

UBC started interviewing in early January last year, contacting the first interviewees in December. As far as I know, they space the interviews pretty evenly for the next few months after that. As to your second question, there is some controversy over how they choose which interviews come first - but in the end it doesn't matter. They give you usually only a day or two to prepare, so it's pretty much a shocker for all. As for you coming from another province, I don't know much about this. They do, however, make you miss classes. Unlike other universities like Calgary or Toronto, they don't have "interview weekends" where groups of interviewees are scheduled to come for a big orientation session. It's more like, you come for the interview, and leave pretty much right away. But I wager you'd be happy to miss a few classes for a shot at getting in, so this shouldn't really be an issue (though I can see where you're coming from - it's a bit hectic but worth it).

They only give you a few days? Is that true for just in province applicants, or coming from out of province as well? It would suck to try to get a decently priced ticked from Halifax to Vancouver and arrange everything with just a few days notice. Thanks for the info :)

Guest Ian Wong

For UBC, from my recollection you don't get a lot of time between when they contact you, and when you actually go. I think I had about 1 week of advance warning. The med school admissions process involves spending a lot of $$$, with interview travel and housing costs eating up a very large portion. :(

If you have a conflict, you can let them know at the time that they contact you, and request another interview date. I think they were pretty good about this; if I remember correctly, I actually had to do this, as I had a final exam scheduled on the day of my original interview in mid-April.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest not rex morgan

In this particular case, the person who posted will not be considered out of province as he/she is originally from bc, if i'm reading this correctly. As for warning time, the best position you can be in is being out of the province. In my case, I was out of the country. I had over a month's warning. They wanted to make sure I'd be back. It helped as I had been out of the country for about 6 months and needed to catch up on the current events. Last year they interviewed all out of provincers in March.

Archived