Premed 101 Forums

UBC Application for 2002

Guest BCgirl

Guest BCgirl

I just got my UBC application form. I definitely won't be able to fill up much in the extra-curricular activities form. During my first year I volunteered for a few months. Last year (during school) I worked in a chem lab and right now I'm working in a different lab and volunteering (I'm also hoping to find a doctor to shadow). In September I will be starting as a Peer Tutor at my school. Can I put that on my form with the start date listed? Also, for my research experience, would that just go under employment? The sheet says experiences can only be listed once, so my research would have to go under employment, right? Would it be stretching too much to include high school sports as one of the activities? I might get a publication from the project I'm working on right now... if I get that after I've sent my application in would I be able to send in something to tell UBC about the publication? Oh, one more thing. I presented a poster at a student chemistry conference and a national CSC conference this year. Which section can I put those under?

Sorry for all the questions and everything :)

Thanks!

Guest Clairisa

Sorry I can't help you with your questions! Wish I could. I have found the admissions secretary to be very helpful with my many questions, if that helps?

I was wondering how you plan to go about finding a doctor to shadow? I am interested in this myself but not quite sure how to approach it. If you have any ideas or just want to chat about this sort of stuff please drop me an email or leave a message here. I am always interested to talk to fellow BC'ers. I am not applying for med2002 but rathe getting ready ayhead of time to apply for med2003... I am turning over a new leaf and not procrastinating ANYMORE!

Take Care and Good Luck!

Clairisa

Guest tones

It's best not to put things down on your app before you actually do them... keep in mind, however, that the app is due in October so you have time to start your activity. As for activities after the application... you can't really add anything afterwards UNLESS you get an interview. After your interview you will be sent a form that will allow you to add any "new" information. The caveat, as said above, is that you can only do this "after" you get an interview...

t

PS. think about addings things from high school... they know that such things are just "fillers"

Guest Ian Wong

Everything gets used. They'll look at your marks, and your autobiographical stuff and letters before deciding who gets an interview.

I think the best way to approach this is that if you are going to put stuff down, make sure you put a date for it. If you have something that you've submitted for publication, say that it will be submitted. If you haven't submitted it yet, well, then, about the best you can do without lying is to say that you have been doing research for X time, and put an end date to your research time.

I submitted a few things from high school, mostly involving sports (I did a fair amount of stuff, one of which resulting in a provincial championship for my team). I would include only the most relevant stuff from high school; too much, especially the irrelevant stuff that everyone else has, just makes it look like filler.

Regarding where to write stuff in, you want to make sure that evey activity that you write down could technically fall under that category. At the same time, you don't really want to leave any categories blank (kinda like leaving a test question blank), because the admissions committee is looking for your achievements, and a blank space is, well, a blank space. So, make sure that whatever you write in could be interpreted to fall in that category, and try to have something for each category. That's just my opinion, not necessarily a good opinion. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest YongQ

Volunteering is one of the most productive things you can do for your application, and seriously it's never too late to pick it up again. As long as you put dates for EVERYTHING, they can't hold it against you. It might not help you, but you definitely won't lose points for it. When figuring out whether to put something under employment, a good guideline is to ask - did they need your SIN, do you pay taxes on it? On the other hand, all work in the lab, besides technician work, is definitely research, regardless of whether you're paid. And yes, I've heard of applicants updating their applications at UBC - however (I might be wrong about this, someone please confirm) I think UBC only uses your list of extracurrics towards inviting for interviews. After that, it's basically all academic (1/2) + referees (1/2). A poster presentation would be research experience I believe.

:)

Edit: Freudian slip!!! I hate those.

Guest not rex morgan

It's all about expanding. Do this in your essay. Yeah, your research was your job...what did you learn from it? If you did a presentation, definitely put it down in your essay. It shows leadership. If you just say you did research, it will definitely only count in one category. As for what you will be doing, expand on what you hope to get out of it and what you plan on bringing to it. Keep it concise, though. Basically, jam pack your essay. This is the only way you have to introduce yourself to them. (hence the topic being "introduce yourself.")

Guest HHH07

I had a fair bit of research in my app. last year and spread it out between employment and other. Definitely make sure it fits under the category that you put it under. Try to have something for all categories though. I think I used HS sports in mine but it was more of the senior years and it resulted in a number of scholarships and other provincial awards. If you start something before the applic. is due, use it and put the start date [therefore, if you are going to start volunteering, I would do it before or in Sept. so that you can use it on the application form]. As for the publications, if you know what the publication is about, and who the authors will be, you can reference the publication and write in parenthesis (in preparation for submission).

Also, as stated above, make sure that your xc activities lead into your essay (i.e. everything you talk about in the essay should be in the activities list). In my opinion, the essay is much more important than the list of activities.

HHH07

Archived